Faded Sunbrella (or equivalent) Boat Canvas

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I received the Fabric Spray dye. It's branded Designer Accents. I ordered it yesterday! Wow. The packaging and instructions are very professional. They say that if you test the fabric with water and it beads up, then just send the spray back, it won't work. I know new Sunbrella will bead water, but my severely faded canvas doesn't. At least I'm assuming it's Sunbrella, but I'm not sure. So, I think it's worth a shot. The Sunbrella color I've mapped it to is "Toast." The closest color in Designer Accents is "Camel," but it looks pretty close. I'll have to take a piece home to try this; maybe the sail cover. I really hope it works out, as it will give me a couple or few more years of use out of my canvas while looking good, looking as it should. Then I can start the winter project of trying to duplicate it.

I'm not so sure the concept of taking a piece of canvas apart to produce a pattern for a new one will work. I know places do this with vinyl boat seat covers. But it could be like the successive errors one encounters making a copy of a copy, and so on. But, considering how much canvas work costs, and that I will soon have more time than money, and I have a couple of good sewing machines and some skill, I think it's worth a try.

I really like the dodger. It's hard to describe how well it's designed and made. The windows in it are a flexible, but semi-rigid material; it's not the soft stuff one sees these days. I don't know what it is, what it's called. I will have to source it. Anyone have any idea?

While I'm at it I will make covers for the clear hatches, the teak hand rails, and the winches. I have old covers for most of the hatches (not all), and for the handrails, and a couple of the winches, so I can copy those. I'd also like to make covers for the toe rails, if I ever invest in having them professionally varnished. I had an idea for a design that included weighted edges, like draperies, and straps to fasten them to stanchions. And also covers for the varnished teak dorade tops - four of them. And on and on.... Everyone needs a hobby!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
They say that if you test the fabric with water and it beads up, then just send the spray back, it won't work. I know new Sunbrella will bead water, but my severely faded canvas doesn't. At least I'm assuming it's Sunbrella, but I'm not sure. So, I think it's worth a shot.
Curious to know if the spray will also restore any water resistance. I just sprayed my Sunbrella dodger and Bimini with 303 Fabric Guard for that reason. I wouldn’t want to have to choose between water resistance and color.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Curious to know if the spray will also restore any water resistance. I just sprayed my Sunbrella dodger and Bimini with 303 Fabric Guard for that reason. I wouldn’t want to have to choose between water resistance and color.
I don't think so, for the Designer Accents dye spray. I think it's just color. The Rustoleum stuff might provide some water resistance qualities, I don't know. I'll let you all know when I use them.