F*!$#ing Scupper hoses

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
:banghead: I love my boat, but I swear to God that I am going to sell it before I ever have to replace the scupper hoses again.

The Scupper hoses are original and were so rotted that you can cut them in half just by twisting them with your bare hands. (True statement, not exaggerating, my kids think I'm superman now when I showed them "how strong I was":biggrin:)

Anyone familiar with a C30 surely knows about the Hell Hole underneath the stern lazarette that these things live in. I am convinced there is a valiant troll that lives in there whose sole purpose is to protect those hoses and cuts the crap out of your hands when you're not looking. Anyways........

I have tried 4 or 5 different types of hose but always run into one of 2 problems. Either the hose is so stiff it can't make the bends to connect to both fittings, or the hose can flex enough but folds itself in half when trying to make the bend.

I've tried reinforced exhaust hose, trident sanitation hose, non-reinforced exhaust hose, livewell hose, and another one I can't remember.

The one that came the closest was the sanitation hose, but even with a heat gun and silicone spray I could not get it onto the thru hull nipple.

I think my only options left are reinforced potable hose Trident 161 / 162 Reinforced PVC Tubing

or

the really cheap bilge hose Trident 120 Bilge Pump Hose

What have others been successful using and do yo have any tips or tricks that may aid in installation?

(Next I really can't wait until I go to replace the 400' feet of exhaust hose from the water muffler to the thru hull, that is going to be REALLY fun:doh:)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I have a C34 and encountered the same issues. Add the refrigeration into that area just to make it interesting. Anyway, I used a propane fired lobster cooker to "boil" my replacement hose. Got it softened and pliable. Used firefighting gloves and it worked slick...

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Have you looked at black Trident fuel hose or engine cooling system hose? It's pretty tough stuff, thick walled and reinforced with some sort of mesh in the layup. More flexible than sanitation hose.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I like the proposed idea of boiling the hose first. Hot water and steam have been craftsmen tools for ages.
That said, I'm grateful for my open transom.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I had a similar issue back in the day with my Pearson 30 "Yare". I simply abandoned the old through hulls, which were above the water line, sealed them up well, and just relocated 2 new through hulls above the water line where I could more easily reach them.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I did something like that on my Mac26S. Separated the 2-in-1 drain layout and eliminated the kinks. Water flowed like $h#t thru a goose afterwards.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
This is on a Mk 2 and the hoses are behind the quadrant. The steering is all in the floor on a mk 2 rather than in the front of the lazarette. My Mk2 also doesn't look that clean in the Lazarette. I have a propane locker that is full depth right on centerline.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I just drilled a hole in the side of the boat. (Not a Catalina) ran a short hose, 14 inches, from the cockpit seat to the hole. Clamped the hoses on and done. Now I can close my thru hull and not worry about the sink over flowing. ( what were the builders thinking connect the scupper to the sink drain.)

happy happy.

Apr 5, 2009
John, I am not quite sure where you got the idea that the scuppers are connected to the sink drain on a C30 cause I have never seen that. If you are talking about the small diameter hose in the photo I posted, that is the drain for the steering quadrant well which is recessed into the floor so it requires a separate drain.

Apr 5, 2009
I just drilled a hole in the side of the boat. (Not a Catalina) ran a short hose, 14 inches, from the cockpit seat to the hole. Clamped the hoses on and done. Now I can close my thru hull and not worry about the sink over flowing. ( what were the builders thinking connect the scupper to the sink drain.)

happy happy.
It would not be a good idea to have a sink drain on a C30 that does not have a valve. John, last year on the Round Whidbey, we forgot to close the drain coming up Saratoga. While you, Jim and I were having a ball topside, Sue was mopping the floor and counter of the galley becasue at that angle of heel, the sink fills and overflows unless you close the valve. (She was not happy with me!):kick:

Oct 22, 2014
And here I thought the girls were just down there sipping coffee.

I did not say Catalina did such a poor engineering error. The wizards who built my Cal35c were the suspect’s. They had to really work to accomplish what they did. I just reengineered my boat with a major improvement at minimal cost (a1” thru hull).

Apr 5, 2009
And here I thought the girls were just down there sipping coffee.

I did not say Catalina did such a poor engineering error. The wizards who built my Cal35c were the suspect’s. They had to really work to accomplish what they did. I just reengineered my boat with a major improvement at minimal cost (a1” thru hull).
I better not tell Sue what you said. She wouldn't appreciate it given that she was out with you most of the night heading up from Gedney!;)

Oct 22, 2014
Sue had a good eye for the shadow of a breeze on the water in the moon light.

Oct 27, 2018
Catalina 30 San Francisco
Off the top of my head I don't remember what the layout and specifics are. Are the drains at the top removable? I'm sure you already thought of that if the were removable. I would use sanitation hose. If you work it correctly with the heat gun you can get it to bend and do some pretty crazy things. Just make sure not to overheat it so it gets too flexible and won't cooperate. Hold it in the shape you want it until it cools. Or put some cold water through it to cool it. You have any pics?
Remember the rule: NOTHING is impossible...it just takes an extra five hours! ;-)

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I had the same kind of problem on my Columbia 36. There's one drain on centerline going to a through hull below it. There's a Marilon sea cock that I doubt is original that reduces the clearance to about two inches, and due to the shape of the hull the hose barbs are offset by about 1 1/2". No way to get a new hose in there. The only way I could do it was to remove the drain fitting from the cockpit sole, put the hose on the sea cock, then lower the drain fitting back down the hole while holding the drain's backing nut in place and guiding the drain into the hose. (A two-person job). I hope I never have to do that again.