eye candy

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Sparkman & Stephens has to hold the record for big strong ocean racing yawls (Bolero, Dorade, Stormy Weather,...).

BLACK WATCH has an 82 year old history. Built for the Shaefer (Beer) family in 1938 for 40K, strictly to race in the Bermuda races, she also won an award while being used by the US Navy during WW2 for scaring a few German Uboats off the coast. Later she was donated to Taber Accademy and did several years as their Tabor Boy training ship.

These days she just races and is well cared for by a few owners(I believe):

LOA: 68′-0″
LWL: 48′-0″
Beam: 14′-7″
Draft: 9′-3″

Being a yawl sailor, I love the sail trimming details. There is one man feathering the mainsheet. The mainsail has a reef in it as they sail to windward. I think a reef in the main can put the mizzen into free air even going to windward.

There is a crew on the mizzen sheet. He has shifted the base of the mizzen sheet to leeward. It looks like it may be shackled to the eye for the port running back stay. This allows over trimming the mizzen in freer air still. He has the sheet wrapped several times on the winch but held to feather the mizzen.

Real 50's voodoo sail trim going on.

And wow, that's a big crew all comfortably sprawled around the cockpit. Makes me think they wanted to move weight aft. Big comfortable safe boat (how about those decks!) still winning her class 82 years later. I've seen her on the water in NE. Very pretty sight.

Black watch S&S .jpg

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
Tom, that may be my favorite sailing photo yet. all the things i prefer for sailing are going on. sweet :)

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
...... and my mother's side of the family were members of the 'Black Watch' back in the day.
thou i don't know what that means, my grandfather was proud of that as he told me such when i was a little boy

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Interesting on the Black Watch. Is your mothers family tree connected?

The Black Watch was an infantry unit born in the aftermath of the First Jacobite Rebellion of 1715. The senior Highland regiment, it went on to fight in nearly all the British Army's campaigns and is now part of the Royal Regiment of Scotland.

And also the origin of the dark tartan plaid mentioned above:

The Name. The title “The Black Watch” was derived from the dark colour of the tartan and the original role of the Regiment to “watch” the Highlands . The name has remained and is now incorporated in the official name of the Regiment.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I had a feeling I was close to BLACK WATCH not long ago. I checked my photos from last season and sure enough, we were anchored to windward of her last August in the Eggemoggin Reach(I spotted the Shaefer Beer logo flag on her forestay).

She was sandwiched between BOUNTY and SILENT MAIDEN the bright catboat. Even then, what a sheer line and spoon bow on that sailboat.

Black Watch ERR 2019.jpg