eye candy

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor

friendship 53' I got to cross oceans as a watch captain on this sweetheart

it's now lives up on the lakes
They built a couple of custom wood composite Fontaine designs in our harbor. The first a 36'er:
Fontaine 36.jpg

This had all the bells and whistles including less than 3' draft.
CARY ALI COCKPIT CLOSE FULL.jpg

Then a Fontaine 50 Arabesque:
Arabesque travelift crop.jpg

The cockpit was also a work of art(Arabesque started with white topsides then went blue). These guys are masters of the craft.

This is Joel Whites grandson, Sam, aft of the cockpit. I like to think E.B. White, his great grandfather, is channeled into his work as well.

Sam hordes boats and gets out on the water every chance he gets. I often see him rowing a beautiful old Peapod with his dog and daughter after work.
Arabesque 2.jpg

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I remembered the Fontaine bimini when I saw this photo Jon posted.

The answer to a fixed bimini, functional and beautiful? They fit it on the the 36' Carrie Ali. I thought it threw the whole design off. But this boat is in southern NE. Sun protection leads design with a fixed bimini.
CARY ALI BIMINI.jpg
This is good mid day protection, less so as the sun goes low, as it is in this photo.
Bimini.jpg

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
the owners wife was very fair skinned, and very beautiful. he was madly in love with her and always thinking of her needs. now on the upper lakes the bimini has been removed.
he sold the boat and bought a used 58' alden.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
the owners wife was very fair skinned, and very beautiful. he was madly in love with her and always thinking of her needs. now on the upper lakes the bimini has been removed.
he sold the boat and bought a used 58' alden.
Outdated, has history,...squeaks at night, you can't get that in a new boat. :)

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
on long passages, stories get told: i asked the owner how he had met his wife. he explained that he had been building a cabin in some new england woods and he went to a local general store to buy a wood burning stove. her family owned the store she was working in. he was instantly smitten, it happens. she however would not give him the time of day, it happens. he tried to start some conversation, nothing. i asked him, in jest, how many stoves he had to buy before she would acknowledge him. he said three. :)