Extra Bilge Compartment Purpose?

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Does anyone know the purpose of the extra bilge compartment just aft of the main bilge?
9F484930-12D9-4AAE-9F29-12EC35CFF149.jpeg
It has a tiny drain hole leading to the bilge (which was clogged and I freed up with a pipe cleaner) and a series of larger holes leading to the side.
I can’t figure out what its purpose is, other than a good place to stash contraband.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I think just the progression of the bilge profile...there should be one on the other end of the deeper bilge section as well. The other end should have 1 of the keel bolts in it though.

Greg

Jan 2, 2017
Thanks Greg.
The thing is, it’s not part of the progression. It sits above the channel from the aft section where the stuffing box and engine are, so any water and oil flow under it to the bilge.

Jan 7, 2011
Thanks Greg.
The thing is, it’s not part of the progression. It sits above the channel from the aft section where the stuffing box and engine are, so any water and oil flow under it to the bilge.
I did not realize that. So there are separate weep holes from the engine bilge, under the pan you are asking about, to the bilge?

I do admit my little pan is always dry.

I will have to take a closer look next time I am out at the marina.

Yours looks nice and clean !

Greg

Jan 2, 2017
That’s because I just cleaned it.:)
As the tiny drain hole was clogged, it was partially full of gunk.
See if yours also has the three overlapping round holes on the side.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I think that compartment was created only as a result of a structural rib crossing there.

Jan 2, 2017
Sounds reasonable but why create an additional space reachable through a trapdoor in the saloon sole? Why not leave it open to the underlying bilge channel?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Is that a Sperry?
I was noticing the same this, must have been a sale on..........

I like the wine cellar idea, but only if its maintained full, otherwise the bottles would have a tendency to roll around........:)

Jan 2, 2017
I live in Sperrys.
Unfortunately the cavity isn’t deep enough to hold wine bottles. That leaves a contraband cubby but the ring latch in the sole is a dead giveaway.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
Too many other projects in my queue than worrying about that compartment on my 322! :) It stays dry, I don't worry about it. Now, let's talk about the sliding hatch! That's my winter project...

Jan 7, 2011
That’s because I just cleaned it.:)
As the tiny drain hole was clogged, it was partially full of gunk.
See if yours also has the three overlapping round holes on the side.
Nope...no extra holes in my small bilge...just the 2 little drain holes.

Mine wasn’t too clean though!
198D36D7-DF95-4C00-A9EE-1C555480EEE2.jpeg

Greg

Jan 2, 2017
Thanks Greg. Verrrry interesting. Yours has a two tiny holes at opposite corners while mine has just one tiny hole forward, and the three larger interlocking round holes to starboard. (You can see them in the lower right hand corner of my photo.) It's a puzzlement.

Jan 2, 2017
What are you planning to do with your sliding hatch, Mickstr?