External Bow Thruster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 426 City Island
Considering installation of externally mounted bow thruster for 2003 Hunter 46. I welcome suggestions and comments. Thank you.
Christopher Bayer
Mamaroneck, NY

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
The reports seem to make it worthwhile. I have a 2003 466 with the tunnel thruster. It allows me to undock or dock with confidence. It makes maneuvering in tight quarters and or counter currents and winds much less of a stressful evolution. Good luck.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter - Lighthouse Point, Fl
It's a recipe for disaster,too many things can go wrong when a skipper has mechanical safty nets in critical situations. These safty nets always seem to fail at the worst possibly times. Don't get me wrong, they are nice to have, but a skipper should not need to rely on this type of equiptment to do basic manouevres.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I guess we shouldn't have roller furling, GPS, Chart plot, radios, radar, or auxiliary engines either. Wood, canvas, and hemp instead of fiberglass, dacron, and nylon. Get rid of the winches too. Too much to go wrong. Having a bow thruster and relying on it are two different things. I enjoy the challenge of tight maneuvering without it. It certainly does help when trying depart a dock with a 25 kt crosswind or avoiding other boats in a lock with swirling water.

Enjoy the bow thruster. It is like having hot and cold pressure water on the boat.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
It's a recipe for disaster,too many things can go wrong when a skipper has mechanical safty nets in critical situations. These safty nets always seem to fail at the worst possibly times. Don't get me wrong, they are nice to have, but a skipper should not need to rely on this type of equiptment to do basic manouevres.
That may be all well and good but when you get over 40' a thurster can keep you from disaster. Trying to turn into a slip slowly with the wind on the nose can prevent you from turning in at all, then disaster. I don't have one but have been in a few circumstances when it would have been nice. I say go for it. I wish I had one.

Jul 21, 2011
Squadron 36 Lake Wateree
I so far am drawn to yachtthruster.com I have been in touch with a salesman ->Alex. And currently will be purchasing and doing the install myself next spring. Have to save up a bit more money first. But it seems the best from what I have gathered.

Jul 21, 2011
Squadron 36 Lake Wateree
Perhaps it is one of those if you have to ask you can't afford it type of deals?

May 20, 2004
Hunter MH 40 Noank, CT
Looks good to me. Just closed on an '08 36 w/o a thruster. We'll see how she does docking compared to the H260 I traded which had a rudder-outboard steering link.

Dec 14, 2011
Navicula 430 Hunter Toronto
Perhaps it is one of those if you have to ask you can't afford it type of deals?

that what my bank manager says to me every bloody day....................I cant afford it.........

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
From one of the sites. Gives you an idea of the price.

While the price of the Yacht Thruster ($4,000 to $6,000 depending on the installation and size) might seem steep, you may save considerably in labor because there’s no fiberglass laminating required. Installation is fairly simple. For a bow-thruster application, one hole is cut with a holesaw for the through-hull as far forward as possible and then two more are cut for mounting studs that attach the unit to the hull bottom. Stern-mounted units are fixed low and as close to the boat’s transom as possible. It’s important for both to use the proper sealant between the running surface and the thruster and to properly tighten the bolts on the studs. The install kit comes complete with a backing plate and vibration dampeners.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
For $4000 I would modify a trolling motor to the same location. Shaft looks similar, shouldnt be rocket science to make it work. Get the kind with the foot control, you could extend the steering control pedal back to the helm as well as have directional indication.

Need a thruster? Safety net? Remember, all the old Navy amd whaling sailing ships had large crews of men, sweeps (oars) onboard, as well as a couple small boats. It was common to have the crew row the ship around, as well as tug it around with a couple small boats armed with a crew of oarsmen. So you could say, theyve had thrusters since the beginning of time. These modern type just replace a bunch of guys you would have to feed.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Imagine sailing at night when in 'crab and lobster pot' infested waters with a BIG bulb under the bow of one's boat !!!! ... or when there is full tidal flow and most of 'floats' are 'just' underwater ... or when sailing in log infested water after a storm. You probably couldnt do better as when dragging a large grappling hook.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Another benefit to the bow thruster is final line handling while docking. Since by mutual consent I do all the docking my wife handles the dock lines. The thruster, when required, aids in moving the bow to the dock, which my wife having had shoulder surgery, greatly appreciates.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Mikem, understood, but if your docks have standard horn cleats, do you use a midships spring line? If so, the boat does all the work and no bow thruster is required, although the bigger the boat, the more it would help.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Stu, the cleats vary all over Puget Sound and yes we do use the midship line. Typically, if the thruster is used at all it is a momentary bump. We had four bow thtusters at one time but they all grew up and went their own ways. Two now share a Catalina 25. You can view our restoration progress on the C-25 forum under sailboat.

Thanks, Mike

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Good one, Mike. I have one bow thruster, and, imagine this, I actually used to call him a "foredeck ape!" :) Learn somethin' new every day. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.