Extending temperature sensor cable on Sterling battery charger

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Sterling Power 50A battery charger. I'm using the temperature sensor, but the cable isn't long enough to reach. So I added a phone coupler and extension cable. Problem is that the coupler doesn't always make a good connection, and the charger thinks the battery is quite cold, and outputs a voltage that's too high. This causes the Balmer Smart Gauge to display an E03 error almost all the time.

Anybody know if Sterling or ProMariner make a sensor with a longer cable, or if I can splice/solder the cable, or replace it with a generic sensor?

Thanks, Rob

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
If the sensor is like the Balmar units, you can just extend the cable with butt connectors and a longer cable. I would stay away from connectors for the very reason you have described. What ever you do, DO NOT cut the battery end of the cable and make a new cable with an eye fitting. The sensor is at the original eye fitting and cutting it will destroy the sensor! Also,watch the polarity.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
If the sensor is like the Balmar units, you can just extend the cable with butt connectors and a longer cable. I would stay away from connectors for the very reason you have described. What ever you do, DO NOT cut the battery end of the cable and make a new cable with an eye fitting. The sensor is at the original eye fitting and cutting it will destroy the sensor! Also,watch the polarity.
That's what Sterling said. I've got some tiny butt connectors and shrink tubing that should work fine.