Experience with Pearson 39-2 deck recore or similar models

May 20, 2015
Pearson 39-2 33 Annapolis
I have a purchase contract for a Pearson 39-2. The deck is in need of recoring along the edge of the deck. I am pretty certain of the steps in the process but am seeking professional quotes to have this done. Is there anyone who has done this (by themselves or by a pro) that can share experience on the process? What were the findings, did you re-use the toe rails and edge capping, how was the deck finished when done (presumably non skid paint). Approximate pricing?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Congratulations on your plans to purchase a Pearson 39-2!! Sounds like are not the only with this same issue. The threads below discuss repair options/strategies and the youtube video might be helpful.

Youtube entitled "Sail Life - Core replacement, side decks...done! DIY sailboat repairs"

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I recored my 36-2. I bought all new rub rails, cut top off and ripped all core on deck from cockpit to foredeck where it was nice and dry. Used nida core instead of balsa. Job came out pretty good. Guy who did the job made a reverse mold of the nonskid pattern (which is still available) and epoxied it down. Also did solid material under the stanchions. Looking back I would have done a few different things but overall big job and ended up looking great.

Greg