Expand fuel tanks on pearson 39-2

mgaff

Nov 12, 2015
pearson 39-2 Quarry Island Nova Scotia
Just looking for information about how to expand the fuel tankage on a Pearson 39-2. Currently it is 30 gallons and would like to double or more that number. I'd be interested in hearing about what other owners might have done, or suggestions about how to increase fuel tankage. Thanks.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Not familiar with your boat about the possible location of an additional tank and routing of plumbing but concur that a 30 gallon tank seems smallish for your boat. The key to the issue might be your usage and the availability of fuel in your sailing area. Diesel fuel that is not used and replenished frequently tends to deteriorate by absorbing water and bacterial contamination so you may want to insure that your usage will insure to keep any additional fuel fresh. We all have needed extra tankage to take trips into remote areas and make long passages and have solved the problem by attaching jerry-cans on deck. No sense making costly and permanent modification for just one or two trips a year. Google online for tank manufacturers and retailers and see what's out there in sizes (gallons) and shapes, also look at the fixtures to connect and operate an additional tank. You should find a plumbing diagram for when using multiple tanks. Hope this helps.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
i agree with Benny on this ...unless you make frequent regular long passages it is not in yours or my best interest to have excessive fuel quantity on board ...... do the math on fuel consumption and plan your trips accordingly 30 gallons on my boat would let me run 300 miles or better using the 1/2 gallon an hr rate at 5.5 knots that's 60 hours of running or 2 and 1/2 half days ...that's a long time for a leisurely cruise

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Just looking for information about how to expand the fuel tankage on a Pearson 39-2. Currently it is 30 gallons and would like to double or more that number. I'd be interested in hearing about what other owners might have done, or suggestions about how to increase fuel tankage. Thanks.
I've done some pondering on this issue myself in contemplation of a Baja Bash (750 n.mi. uphill along the Baja peninsula). Between Cabo San Lucas and Ensenada, MX, I believe there is one fuel stop opportunity at Turtle Bay. I have 40 gallons topped off with a burn rate of about 1 gal/hr at 2,900 RPM which will get me 6.5 - 7 kt through the water; so 40 gal x 6.5 n.mi./gal= 260 n.mi.; not even on a good day would that be even close. Can't even make the pit stop with those numbers!! True, others have used the jerry cans; but if they are big (e.g., 10 gal), then they are also heavy, etc. To avoid moving them around you would need a delivery system from the can to the tank that does not involve lifting/carrying, etc., the cans. I've been thinking of a custom molded fuel tank for the Bavaria 38 to double as a bridge deck in the cockpit, with "horns" proceeding aft to get another 30 or so gallons. It would be removable but could be secured well to the boat when in use. Rig it to empty directly into the below-deck fuel tank as it is going down. Now, 70 x 6.5 = 455 n.mi. gets me to the pit stop with fuel to spare. No lugging; just turn the fuel cock to "on" and you're gone!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
This has been brought up before, and I posted a web site that has bladders to place on deck. Remove them when not needed. Do a search, and you'll find the post.

mgaff

Nov 12, 2015
Thanks for all this. I was really hoping that a 39-2 owner had come up with a way/space and had done this.

inprin

Sep 9, 2014
Pearson 39-2 New Bern
I have an '87 39-2. The boat was the original 2 head design. The PO had the head and sink removed from the forward head and installed shelving for storage. Very useful upgrade. However, the forward waste tank remains under the Vberth. I have contemplated removing, cleaning and if possible, re-purposing as an on board fuel storage tank with a transfer pump back to the main fuel tank. Although, unless I start cruising long distances, I could not use that much fuel. The main tank is 35 gal and I only fill once a year. Still, nice to know I can expand if the opportunity ever presents it's self.

mgaff

Nov 12, 2015
I have an '87 39-2. The boat was the original 2 head design. The PO had the head and sink removed from the forward head and installed shelving for storage. Very useful upgrade. However, the forward waste tank remains under the Vberth. I have contemplated removing, cleaning and if possible, re-purposing as an on board fuel storage tank with a transfer pump back to the main fuel tank. Although, unless I start cruising long distances, I could not use that much fuel. The main tank is 35 gal and I only fill once a year. Still, nice to know I can expand if the opportunity ever presents it's self.
Ah, ha. That is a very innovative solution. Thanks for the feedback.