Exhaust hose replacement

Oct 1, 2020
catalina 310 Coyote Point, San Mateo
I've read a few threads on replacing the exhaust hose (from transom to the lift muffler) on other types of Catalinas, but don't see a lot on the 310 specifically. It looks straight forward until I get to the transom fitting. It's deep in my starboard lazarette with the hard-to-move refrigerator compressor in the way. Is moving the compressor with those copper lines a concern? Anyone have creative ways to access this fitting? Tool extensions? Sacrifice my 6 yr old nephew? (1/2 kidding).

Attachments

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Even with moving the compressor (not recommended) you won't be able to complete the job. There are support ties you probably won't be able to reach to undo and redo on the new hose. I just removed the water heater and then you have great access to do this, the fuel lines, check the steering cables well and some other projects.

Oct 1, 2020
Even with moving the compressor (not recommended) you won't be able to complete the job. There are support ties you probably won't be able to reach to undo and redo on the new hose. I just removed the water heater and then you have great access to do this, the fuel lines, check the steering cables well and some other projects.
Ok, that makes sense. My fridge compressor sits on top of the water heater, so I’ll have to rig something, but it makes sense that having the water heater space open makes the hose replacement possible. Thank you again for your help!

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
interesting. my compressor is on the shelf next to the water heater. the box above the water heater is empty from the factory

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Good advice, if your insurance company is paying attention, fuel lines are expected to be replaced every five years...

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Good advice, if your insurance company is paying attention, fuel lines are expected to be replaced every five years...
Yeah, along with the standing rigging, and lifelines, etc. Might be easier to buy a new boat every five years.:)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Jezz, every 5 years, seems a bit excessive. We put less then 50hrs each year on the lake with our use. I checked them in 2019 and they looked new (engine hours were just over 600) so guess I need to look at them next time out.

Oct 1, 2020
interesting. my compressor is on the shelf next to the water heater. the box above the water heater is empty from the factory
Figured out access and got it off, so 1/2 way there on this job.

Was able to unscrew and gently slide the compressor over onto the starboard shelf, which allowed me to slide the hot water heater a bit… thus allowing me just enough access via the aft starboard lazarette to get the transom part of the hose off.

It measured 12’4”, 1 and 5/8 diameter, and west marine didn’t have it in stock, so I ordered 13’ from Catalina Direct.

iOS Image - 911799537.jpg
iOS Image - 1048903663.jpg
iOS Image - 2403393119.jpg

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Oh man that would freak me out to do that on the water

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Oh man that would freak me out to do that on the water
Why?

I've got to do mine, it's remarkably similar to what Flying Jay needed to do (including the connector down deep in the stbd laz).
Mine's 2" hose, but looks easy enough to do.

I plan to do it in the water too - the outlet is above the waterline, so even if a wave or three hits the boat it's not going to sink it.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I know, just me, I know how all my hose projects go an the idea of a hole I have to leave open is just me