Exhaust hose replacement

JoeK

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 28MKII Morris Plains NJ
I am selling my 2002 Catalina 28 MKII. Don't worry, I plan to buy a bigger one. Anyway the buyer's survey says that the exhaust hose is dry rotted and dripping where it exits the hull and should be replaced. I looked at it and agree that at least the terminal end should be replaced. Looking to replace the entire hose, the terminal end is easy to get to through the rear hatch, however the end that come out of the muffler is hidden within the fiberglass wall between the head and aft cabin. It does not look like you can get to it without cutting fiberglass. Has anyone dealt with this and how did you replace the entire hose?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
however the end that come out of the muffler is hidden within the fiberglass wall between the head and aft cabin.
Remember, the muffler and exhaust hose were one of the LAST things to be installed. Long after "the fiberglass wall between the head and the aft cabin" was installed.

Now just how the hell did they do it ?

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
Find a six inch piece of closet rod or similar a join the old hose and new one using short deck screws and pull it through.
Have a teenager or someone small and wirery helping to feed and push it through the tight spots going back and feeding

JoeK

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 28MKII Morris Plains NJ
Thanks for the input. Connecting the old and new hoses is a great idea. I used this approach when replacing halyards in the past. It looks like the muffler will need to be removed in order to get at least some access to that end of the old hose. Wish me luck.