Exercising on a boat - Look what I fell in love with!

Aug 2, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 40cc Little River, SC
I know that pulling sheets and boat maintenance is hard work and will keep you in shape. But much of the time we are in a port (as now, waiting for hurricane season to pass) so what do I do for exercise? I do AERIAL SILK!
Check it what I do to stay in shape (at 56) and come watch me fly sometime in Coquina Harbor, Little River. I love putting on free shows!
Check out the whole video at https://thecrabbycaptainandthesunnys...m/flying-high/

Attachments

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
That's awesome! I do body-weight resistance exercises, stretches and use elastic fitness bands. But I think you've definitely outclassed me. :)
Keep it up!

Aug 2, 2018
That's awesome! I do body-weight resistance exercises, stretches and use elastic fitness bands. But I think you've definitely outclassed me. :)
Keep it up!
Those are good ideas too. Never thought about elastic bands. They are easy to store and that's a plus. Maybe I can get my husband to use them because I just can't talk him into climbing up the silks with me. lol

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
I know that pulling sheets and boat maintenance is hard work and will keep you in shape. But much of the time we are in a port (as now, waiting for hurricane season to pass) so what do I do for exercise? I do AERIAL SILK!
Check it what I do to stay in shape (at 56) and come watch me fly sometime in Coquina Harbor, Little River. I love putting on free shows!
Check out the whole video at https://thecrabbycaptainandthesunnys...m/flying-high/
Sharing this with the Admiral

Jun 14, 2010
Those are good ideas too. Never thought about elastic bands. They are easy to store and that's a plus. Maybe I can get my husband to use them because I just can't talk him into climbing up the silks with me. lol
I use these Bodylastics bands. Very good quality, I’ve used them for years. I have no affiliation just a happy customer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006NZZH18/

You can also use the handles to hang from a halyard or use the bands/handles around the mast or boom for pulling/rowing type resistance.
I keep a set at home and one on the boat, and I also use them in hotels when traveling (but it must be in checked baggage- TSA won’t allow it probably because it could be used to restrain people)

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018
I use these Bodylastics bands. Very good quality, I’ve used them for years. I have no affiliation just a happy customer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006NZZH18/

You can also use the handles to hang from a halyard or use the bands/handles around the mast or boom for pulling/rowing type resistance.
I keep a set at home and one on the boat, and I also use them in hotels when traveling (but it must be in checked baggage- TSA won’t allow it probably because it could be used to restrain people)
Well, i love that it has multi-uses!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Jodi says ‘no way’.... she’s not excited with heights. Will stick to running. But it’s fun to see other in their 50’s acting like they’re in their 30s!

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Hope your site does well. I just got these silk yoga mounts for my rings. 600lbs per mount. I still wont invert on them. Do you have to go that high normally or was that for the glamor shots.

Thinking about using another set of silk yoga mounts next time i flip boat over for painting.

Attachments

Jun 14, 2010
Well, i love that it has multi-uses!
Lots of exercises possible with resistance bands. It comes with a manual and there is a lot on YouTube

Edit: btw I don’t think sailing a cruising boat keeps you in shape. Too much resting and sitting. If you can do it with a drink in your hand it’s not a sport.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
btw I don’t think ... If you can do it with a drink in your hand it’s not a sport.
Beeryoga

:beer:
Beertrack
Beer cycling

I'm not sure what sport this is, but it is obviously taken VERY SERIOUSLY

- Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
There’s a form of yoga you don’t hear mentioned often: It’s the balance moves performed when changing for a shower in a dirty marina bathroom, and standing on a sandal while trying to keep your shorts and underwear from contact with the floor. Beginners lean on a wall or use the sink for a brace, advanced practitioners can do the entire process while free-standing. Penalty for failure is “going commando”. :)