Exchange Jib lines?

Sep 1, 2014
Catalina 30 MKII Gulfport, FL
Wow - a lot of worthwhile insights. Am in no hurry, and hate to just "part out" nice lines. The dinghy option makes some sense in my case - need to make a bridle. Or just wait it out on Craigslist and eBay. Thanks everyone! Mike
Oh, WHO said "learn to tie a bowline"? Kind of inappropriate for a sailing forum.

Sep 1, 2014
Catalina 30 MKII Gulfport, FL
Never learned a bowline as an Eagle Scout. But every sailing class teaches the bowline. Heck, my boat even came with a waterproof knot tying book ;)

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Well. The SBO member who recommended you learning to tie a bowline (post #10) is also the one who told you what a line used to control a jib or spinnaker is called, i.e., a sheet. Something else covered in every sailing class. So, one never knows what someone else might know. :what: Please forgive—a good faith recommendation.

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
“64' of line would make a halyard on a Catalina 30 with line left over.”
Nah, a bit short. A C30 Mk II has a minimum P of 35’. Spec calls for 112’ length main halyard as lines are run back to the cockpit. Also, a bit short for jib sheets.
Repurpose the lines and snap shackles. Maybe as a main sheet, vang, traveler line reefing line, etc.

Edited. Try the classified section for gear on this site. You might get a few dollars for them.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thanks Ward. Being a rigged at the mast guy I sometimes forget you guys run the lines to the cockpit.