Exchange Jib lines?

Sep 1, 2014
Catalina 30 MKII Gulfport, FL
Have two 64' lines in very good condition, and each has a SS Snap Shackle. Too long for my jib, and too short for halyard (need 100'). Any ideas on where / how I could exchange? Not trying to use this as a "For Sale" post, just wondering if there are some sailboat specific sites that folks have found worthwhile for trading or purchasing items. Thanks
Two 64ft lines with Snap Shackles.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mike, other than the wear and tear the snap shackles have one to the eye splices, the lines look pretty good. I would agree that 64' lines leave a lot in the cockpit. Why not trim them down to a more manageable size. Put in new eye splices. Get a soft shackle to attache the jib sheets to the jib clew. (It will be a whole lot safer going to the bow with that foresail flapping away. No big metal shackles trying to bean you. ) Soft shackles are easier on the jib sheet eyes.

You will have some line left over that can serve to hold fenders to on the boat (if like mine they are due for an upgrade), you can use them for dock lines, they would make good lines to tie down a dingy, etc.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Yes. Flailing shackles are dangerous!
If you can't repurpose them, maybe you can work something out at your marina with another sailor.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I was about to say that, @jssailem -- too long a line isn't a problem, if you have a knife and can whip the ends.

They do look like spin sheets, which would also explain their length compared to genoa sheets.

Sep 1, 2014
Catalina 30 MKII Gulfport, FL
Thank you everyone. Must be spinnaker lines. Boat is 30'. Came w my boat, which has no spinnaker hardware. Appreciate the info.
Off to ebay, describing them correctly ;) Maybe a past owner had plans?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I would cut about 17ft off each one, giving you 2 jib sheets and 2 extra docklines.
And a couple of spare snap shackles, which always come in handy.... but not for jib sheets. FYI jib lines are called sheets. Learn to tie a bowline knot for attaching sheets.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The snap shackles may be worth as much or more than the rope, although it looks in very good condition. Selling “used”, or should I say preowned, rope is hardly worth the effort even if it finds a buyer. A veteran of many boating swap meets, I can attest. Snap shackles are not wonderful for use on sheets, so take ‘em off and sell the nylon as plain rope if you can. Sell the shackles separately. Or, as suggested, repurpose the rope into sheets that are knotted to the headsail. Although not wonderful either, the ropes might be useful as a dinghy tow lines. Sixty-four feet could make up a nice block and fall w/4x purchase. The snap shackles would work well at the lift end of the hoist, etc.

KG

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
I t may take a month or so, but I would expect someone looking on EBay for spinnaker sheets will happily pay $150 for the pair, I assume these are 3/8" Sta Set lines. It would be a shame to cut these lines up for no essential purpose.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
... but I would expect someone looking on EBay for spinnaker sheets will happily pay $150 for the pair ...
Hummm, I’ve yet to “happily” sell used boating equipment to someone anywhere near its worth. 3/8” sta-set double yacht braid sells new for around $1.00/ft, maybe less. So, there’s $128.00, but knock off half. Add two used shackles that one might get $50 each depending on quality & brand, but I doubt it (more like $25). But there’s your $150, approximately. Compared to a totally new set up, yes—it seems a bargain. But that is where your eBay buyer will start bidding down from, etc. At meets, used rope often sells by the pound.

Last edited:
  • Ha
Oct 22, 2014
EBay for spinnaker sheets will happily pay $150 for the pair, I assume these are 3/8" Sta Set lines
Oh my. Why would someone pay $150 or $1.17/ft for two used ropes of 128' total, when you can go on line without even looking and buy it for $102 aprox $0.80 a foot. Or even better skip the brand name and source the generic form 3/8" Polyester Double Braid Rope - 4468 lbs Breaking Strength for $0.45 a foot in 128' length. Buy the generic for $0.40 a foot 150-599 ft length, or get the 600ft roll for $0.37 a foot.

You need to be resourceful if you want to have a cruising kitty to go adventuring.

I would keep the line and repurpose it.

• 64' of line would make a halyard on a Catalina 30 with line left over.
  • It would provide a 2 mid ship spring lines for the boat.
The options are unlimited.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
... just wondering if there are some sailboat specific sites that folks have found worthwhile for trading or purchasing items.
But, in response to your question, I’ve had reasonable luck with Craigslist. Sold several boating items. Also, SBO has its own site here if a member.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Oh my. Why would someone pay $150 or $1.17/ft for two used ropes of 128' total, when you can go on line without even looking and buy it for $102 aprox $0.80 a foot. Or even better skip the brand name and source the generic form 3/8" Polyester Double Braid Rope - 4468 lbs Breaking Strength for $0.45 a foot in 128' length. Buy the generic for $0.40 a foot 150-599 ft length, or get the 600ft roll for $0.37 a foot.

You need to be resourceful if you want to have a cruising kitty to go adventuring.

I would keep the line and repurpose it.

• 64' of line would make a halyard on a Catalina 30 with line left over.
  • It would provide a 2 mid ship spring lines for the boat.
The options are unlimited.
I suspect the only place you might find 3/8 Sta Set at $.80 is in fact on EBay...that said Sta Set has too little stretch to use as a dock line and too much stretch to use as a halyard.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Yeah. I don’t think they’d make for the best dock lines, as Sailfanatic noted. You really need 3-strand nylon for that, IMO. Make a block & fall to hoist up the dinghy to the foredeck. Much better than cranking the halyard winch. But with evidently no spin halyard it might be a challenge to decide where to attach the hoist:doh:.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Perhaps for a sail fanatic, but for an average sailor who day sails a bit or short cruises, the lines can work to serve the need. While I am concerned about line that needs flex for the days I cannot sail my boat the nylon dock lines serve as a better option to tie the boat to the dock and weather several weeks of weather. On the other hand the amount of stretch in a polyester halyard is not significant when not racing my boat.

If I m making a quick stop at the marina and my normal dock liens are back on my slip a polyester line can serve to tie up for a short period or even a night.