EVO 100 Calibration

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
I am having trouble getting the unit to track well under sail and the autopilot is erratic. If you have had success could you provide the values for the following

Tack angle degree
Hard over time
Pilot response
Rudder Damping
Rudder limit degrees

Will the limit prevent the rudder from hitting the stop? My unit set at 30 seems to blow on by and I have to intervene to keep it from hitting the stop.
Thanks

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The first thing to work with is the response time. Step-by-step.

Oct 28, 2013
Catalina 30 1978 #980 Catalina 30 1978 #980 Mission beach, California
I suggest that you call the Ray Marine tec. The values that I have On my boat may not be the same as your boat. The hard over is the time the motor takes to drive from center line to either Port or starboard this value is in seconds I believe mine is something like 8.2 which may not be right for your boat.

Ray Marine tec. 613 324-7900

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2015
Hunter 33.5 Tacoma, WA
If you want your autopilot to be dependable, in ALL WEATHER, get a rudder reference unit. If your boat is bobbing up and down, shifting left and right, your software-based rudder calculations will go out of wack.... AND... that is exactly WHEN you need it to WORK!! It really is a safety issue.

It's $200, hook it up and your autopilot will perform flawlessly in all conditions.

Sep 22, 2013
Catalina 30 NOB Norfolk W5CDR
As an owner of a Catalina 30 preparing to install an EV-100 system, including rudder reference, I would like to see how other Cat 30 owners have installed the rudder reference sender. My boat is an '84 with factory installed Edson wheel system. Any help would be appreciated.

Sean