Ever Given

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i disagree that tugboats are useless for this rescue. i have used them, many 100's of times. been saved by them when in big trouble. know something about the hydrodynamics of ships in small channels. but hey. just my opinion.

.... and it's free

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Shortages of TP and coffee, how can we get this going?

BTW using a tug to pull the bow may wash the sand against the hull. Getting stuck in the ICW one year, the tow boat we called used his prop wash to hydraulically dig under our boat. It created a hole for us, but another mound in the center of the channel. I asked the operator how many boats get stuck in the center of the channel? His reply was you're the fourth boat today.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Just got some information on the bulbous bow, the part you don’t see.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
roy, a propellor works by digging into the water in front of it. the propwash is the byproduct of the prop doing it's work. the propwash has nothing to do with the pulling power of the prop. zero. nada. the tug will be pulling with a hauser some distance from the ship's hull.
your suggestion that the propwash from the distant tug is equal to the force that the prop makes digging into the water is wrong. big time, wrong. not even close, wrong.

i did enjoy the funny photo. thanks for sharing

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It's going to take a while with a bucket.
But if they take out the 760,000 tons of sand I hope they make a marina there! Call it the Ever Deep Marina.

• Ha

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
roy, a propellor works by digging into the water in front of it. the propwash is the byproduct of the prop doing it's work. the propwash has nothing to do with the pulling power of the prop. zero. nada. the tug will be pulling with a hauser some distance from the ship's hull.
your suggestion that the propwash from the distant tug is equal to the force that the prop makes digging into the water is wrong. big time, wrong. not even close, wrong.
That explains why my boat is so slow under power. The prop should be on the bow end and not the stern! Who knew?