Evaluating effectivness of Sunbrella UV protection

Sep 24, 2018
4,701
Catalina 30 MKIII Chicago
My sailcover seems to be letting water through as we find water coming out the bottom when the boom is moved. Now it's making me wonder if it's actually protecting my sail from the sun. What are some indicators that it may be due for replacement?
 

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
24,787
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I looked at sail covers like tents. The comes a time when tents leak do to coatings degrading and the spaces between threads no longer are water proof. Polyester threads break down like any plastic.

I plan to use as a temporary solution the same product used on tents to extend their water resistance. When that stops working, then it will be time to replace.

When winter comes I take the sails down and store in a cool dry place.
 
  • Like
Likes: BigEasy
Mar 26, 2011
4,012
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
My sailcover seems to be letting water through as we find water coming out the bottom when the boom is moved. Now it's making me wonder if it's actually protecting my sail from the sun. What are some indicators that it may be due for replacement?
I have actually tested the UV blocking properties of new and very old Sunbrella. No measurable difference. For this reason, it is accepted practice to re-stitch genoa covers. The important UV damage with covers is always from light leaks around the mast and at the end of the boom. Damage to the clew or bolt rope.

As others have said, there are other reasons covers do not last forever.

The head webbing of furling sails is notoriously vulnerable for the same reason. Painting the exposed bits is smart.
 

colemj

.
Jul 13, 2004
1,149
Dolphin Catamaran Dolphin 460 Mystic, CT
Are you sure the water is coming through the fabric? Zippers and open ends are the usual suspects there. If you are sure it is weeping through the fabric, then the common waterproofers work well.

I always specify our sailcovers to be fully lined with dacron. The main reason is to help with chafe, but it also has the added benefit of better UV protection and better waterproofing.

Mark
 
  • Helpful
Likes: jssailem
Sep 24, 2018
4,701
Catalina 30 MKIII Chicago
I have actually tested the UV blocking properties of new and very old Sunbrella. No measurable difference. For this reason, it is accepted practice to re-stitch genoa covers. The important UV damage with covers is always from light leaks around the mast and at the end of the boom. Damage to the clew or bolt rope.

As others have said, there are other reasons covers do not last forever.

The head webbing of furling sails is notoriously vulnerable for the same reason. Painting the exposed bits is smart.
Thank you for a straightforward answer. What about light that bounces off the deck and through the semi open bottom of the cover?
Are you sure the water is coming through the fabric? Zippers and open ends are the usual suspects there. If you are sure it is weeping through the fabric, then the common waterproofers work well.

I always specify our sailcovers to be fully lined with dacron. The main reason is to help with chafe, but it also has the added benefit of better UV protection and better waterproofing.

Mark
I put a patch over some lazy jack holes and zippers this winter. It's possible that this is where water is coming in. I also wouldnt be surprised if the old fabric was leaking water. I have a 3M version of 303 that I've been meaning to use
 
Sep 26, 2008
803
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
I use Star Bright Waterproofing. It‘s the only product I have ever used on my Bimini and I have never had a drip or any signs of water seepage. It is a bit expensive but well worth the price given its performance and it only needs a light spray from a spray bottle to cover a large area.
I do apply a slight bit more on sewn seams and zippers, because of the threads. But no leaks.
It repels bird droppings making them easier to clean off. All in all a great product.

I also use Zippy Cool on the zippers. Not every year, maybe every other year. This has a cleaner you first use to clean the zippers then a wax tube you run along the zipper. It doesn’t take much and keeps them from binding up and jamming.
 

Attachments

Mar 26, 2011
4,012
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Thank you for a straightforward answer. What about light that bounces off the deck and through the semi open bottom of the cover?

I put a patch over some lazy jack holes and zippers this winter. It's possible that this is where water is coming in. I also wouldnt be surprised if the old fabric was leaking water. I have a 3M version of 303 that I've been meaning to use
Any light leak could be a problem, I suppose, but in practice I think reflections are not enough to matter, unless the gaps are huge. The bottom should be closed by twist fasteners, buckles, or somthing.

If you are talking about Scotchgard, it has tested very well on sail covers (I tested 303, Scotchgard, and three others on my old cover for a season. Practical Sailor).
 

colemj

.
Jul 13, 2004
1,149
Dolphin Catamaran Dolphin 460 Mystic, CT
Even if the bottom is open, or mesh, there isn't going to be much reflected light onto the sail. And reflected light is the only type of light that will reach it. The boom is going to block most of it, an open bottom is likely to be pinched almost closed naturally, and a mesh bottom will block at least 50% of the light by design, and possibly more depending on the mesh.

This is definitely not an area that concerns me.

Mark