Etiquette pet peeves

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
How about when you ask for a recommendation on instruments, TV, stereo, headset intercom, etc. . And you get a lecture on why you don't need those things.
:plus:
Because it's just weird if you respond with, "I don't know."

-Will

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Although the mods here are excellent :clap: every so often we get some nastiness, generalizations, or political stuff - "You would say that because you are a [insert political party or group]." Overall, this bunch policies itself pretty well and those posts do not last long.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Although the mods here are excellent :clap: every so often we get some nastiness, generalizations, or political stuff - "You would say that because you are a [insert political party or group]." Overall, this bunch policies itself pretty well and those posts do not last long.
Over the last few years or so, especially since retirement, I've become somewhat of a news junkie. That's why I hang out here. Maybe it helps me hang onto the last shred of sanity I may have left.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
How about when you ask for a recommendation on instruments, TV, stereo, headset intercom, etc. . And you get a lecture on why you don't need those things.
That seems oddly specific. LOL

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
I don't seem to get bothered but I do enjoy the banter that these posts generate.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
rgranger said:
But you are okay with starting a sentance with "Or"? :poke:

Guilty as charged :mad: !

I should have begun with (.... or) like using an extra comma where none is needed.
No need to confess guilt.

From Merriam-Webster

It's perfectly acceptable to begin a sentence with "And," as well as the other words that we are often taught to avoid such as "but" or "or." Writing samples tracing back to the 9th century, including Bible translations, break these "sacred" rules, which stem from attempts to curb school children from stringing too many unrelated sentences together.

Some people may remember learning the mnemonic FANBOYS when studying the coordinating conjunctions for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so. And some instructors also still use this as means of explaining which words should not be given the chance to lead the parade. But it's slightly ridiculous to insist that these words should never be used to begin a sentence, when a thousand years of English writing has shown this to be a fine way to start off.