Etiquette pet peeves

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
As I read this thread, it looks like most of my pet peeves have been addressed.

About all that's left is bad spelling (providing English is your primary language). It shouldn't bother me, but it does. If I start reading a post, and in the second sentence, "lose" is spelled "loose", I immediately judge the poster as a bit of a moron, but the rational me manages to get past it. Or using an apostrophe where none is needed. What...you learned in school to just throw them in randomly?

As I said, it shouldn't bother me, but it does. Kind of like when someone is yakking away on their cellphone in a public place. Shouldn't bother me, but it does.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Digital Volt Meter ? If it's something else I probably USED to know and just forgot.
Similar to spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors, the retired scientist in me is somewhat annoyed by the use of acronyms without definition at the point of first usage.

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
Data Volume Management
Dividend Valuation Model
Digital Volt Meter
Digital Video Manager
Digital Voice Module
Daily Vehicle Miles

The first 4 are listed in the order they came to me when I saw the original occurrence. The context of the post ("troubleshooting") should have helped, but I went straight to annoyance at "DVM", so I missed it.

Now I feel better.:huh:

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Since we're here I have a couple:
(1) Using the forum to sell something.
(2) Super Lazy questions that no one can possibly know the answer to. Like, "My microwave doesn't work. Can anyone help me?"
At the end of the day though its live and let live. Just don't read the ones that annoy you.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Digital Volt Meter ? If it's something else I probably USED to know and just forgot.
... the retired scientist in me is somewhat annoyed by the use of acronyms without definition at the point of first usage.

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
Data Volume Management
Dividend Valuation Model
Digital Volt Meter
Digital Video Manager
Digital Voice Module
Daily Vehicle Miles

The first 4 are listed in the order they came to me when I saw the original occurrence. The context of the post ("troubleshooting") should have helped, but I went straight to annoyance at "DVM", so I missed it.

Now I feel better.:huh:
Ah... the lexdysic in me saw DMV and I was wondering what the department of motor vehicles has to do with this forum.:biggrin:

Jan 19, 2010
As I read this thread, it looks like most of my pet peeves have been addressed.

... like when someone is yakking away on their cellphone in a public place. Shouldn't bother me, but it does.
... on speaker phone :facepalm:

Jan 19, 2010
View attachment 200795

Or like using an extra comma where none is needed.
I know it shouldn't bother me but it does :facepalm:.
But you are okay with starting a sentance with "Or"? :poke:

Or starting a sentance with "but"?:biggrin:

... and are your thoughts on the use of the ellipsis?:tongue:

Here are a few vocal idioms that bug me...
  1. The phrase "... with that being said..." Once in a conversation is okay but some people today will get going at about one a minute.
  2. "... its been a minute..." to mean they are unsure on an idea or out of practice with a skill.
  3. The use of "impact" when they mean effect. I always assume they don't know the difference between effect and affect... but I'm not sure. I've even heard someone say "I need to understand how that impacted me". So I guess impact now means either effect or affect but I always imagine someone getting slapped up side the head when they say impact.
  4. The use of the made up word "impacted"... I stop listening if someone says impacted and start imagining a really rotten tooth. I even heard someone on the news last week say "impactful". I'm guessing that means meaningful or effective or valuable... I really don't know.
I know it shouldn't bother me but it does:facepalm:

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
View attachment 200795

Or like using an extra comma where none is needed.
I know it shouldn't bother me but it does :facepalm:.
I forgot one. It annoys me when someone attempts to correct someone else's punctuation and is wrong. :huh:

Although I happen to agree with the notion that commas help the reader know (and the writer make explicit) where natural pauses should occur while reading text, many do not. The idea has fallen out of favor.

I recognize that experts have fallen out of favor as well, but here is what the experts have to say:

From Strunk and White, The Elements of Style, Section II, rule number 4:
"4. Place a comma before and or but introducing an independent clause.

The early records of the city have disappeared, and the story of its first years can no longer be reconstructed.

The situation is perilous, but there is still one chance of escape.
" [Italics mine, to set off the examples from the rule].

And from Section II, rule number 5:
"...If a conjunction is inserted [ed: between two independent clauses], the proper mark is a comma (Rule 4).

Stevenson's romances are entertaining, for they are full of exciting adventures.

It is nearly half past five, and we cannot reach town before dark.
[Italics mine again].

See also how commas and some quotation marks would have made the first quoted sentence above SO much easier to read and understand?

This stuff shouldn't bother me, but it really does.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
I can't believe I just read this whole thread. Please, good people, go sailing. :)
:plus: …will continue response once my eyes clear…

Captain Obvious says "Winter has arrived!"
We’re still living on board, five months into a remodel at 47.8 degrees north, I would welcome a weather window and happily “go sailing”! I just can’t decide whether it’s the weather or the remodel that’s keeping me from venturing out.

I’m also having nightmares, morphing elementary school grammar classes with Matrix-like scenes of using a tablet keyboard with spellchecker and autocorrect!

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
But you are okay with starting a sentance with "Or"? :poke:
Guilty as charged :mad: !

I should have begun with (.... or) like using an extra comma where none is needed.

Now can we get an emoji for this?
Now THAT is the one good thing to come out of all this gibberish :clap:. An emoji that discretely shows how pissed off one really is because deep down, "I know it shouldn't bother me but it does"

1638933355554.png