Estimate to repair?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Done right, probably more than the boat is worth. Not being snide, just realistic. DIY is another story, of course.

Aug 22, 2019
n/a n/a Galveston
Done right, probably more than the boat is worth. Not being snide, just realistic. DIY is another story, of course.
1978 Pearson, he is asking $2500, bet I can get him down. Newbie here, BTW. Beautiful boat jviss. I really want a pearson.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Thanks. I would tread carefully if in your shoes. I did extensive work on a sailboat, and it's not sailing, it's work! Also, there are lots of Pearsons out there. If you really know what you're doing, have fiberglass, gel coat, etc., skills, and time, sure. If you want to sail, find an intact one. Just my advice.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Was that dock pole bite? It might have been OK if the damage didn't involve the hull/deck junction. But it did. Just one complication is that the hull/deck joint is bolted, screwed or riveted together. But there is a layer of flexible adhesive in between. So, if the repair is done as one piece, while the rest of the hull will flex a little, the repair area will not. Doomed to fail. Second, any repair would require feathering the wound out at least 12 X thickness of the layup. Look at what other deck structures that would entail. That's in my view 2 stanchions, and potentially one or two chain plates, maybe some track. Fiberglass is good when laid on a mold. It's not so good at making material to fill a hole. You would need to make a mold I think. Also, judging by the growth on the bottom this boat is not well cared for and you will probably find other problems. Walk .

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It would take a serious love for that boat and willing to spend whatever it takes.

You have a breach of the hull deck joint. Rebuilding this is not a normal task for a newbie and probably not a task an experienced sail boat owner would accept.