Enlarging hole in hull?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Make a 'Note to Self' Greg... Do not sit boat in water till all of the thru hulls are checked for caulking. You know how we all get when it comes to spring and the chance to splash is suggested.
Oh @jssailem there you go again, taking all the fun and stories away from the yard guys. What are they going to talk about at the Christmas Party? "Hey, remember that O'Day when the guy forgot to seal up his through hulls? We nearly sunk his boat. Bet he learned a lesson!" :yikes:

Happy New Year! :beer:

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Make a 'Note to Self' Greg... Do not sit boat in water till all of the thru hulls are checked for caulking. You know how we all get when it comes to spring and the chance to splash is suggested.
Great point! Just like me to forget I never caulked them all!

But I did leave 3 of the old ones in place until it gets warmer, and when I pull those out to replace, I will bed them all...

The new ones are nice and shiny!

Happy New Year John.

Greg

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Old woodworker's trick: hole saw a hole in scrap lumber. Hold or glue the wood in place and that's your guide.
Otherwise, a small rotary file can enlarge it. Just be careful and don't get wider than the flange.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just thinking about how things can go on my boat and sharing an idea to protect.

Happy New Year to you Greg.
May 2021 be a great Sailing year for all of us.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Just thinking about how things can go on my boat and sharing an idea to protect.

Happy New Year to you Greg.
May 2021 be a great Sailing year for all of us.
Happy New Year!

Yes, lets hope 2021 is much improved!

A funny (sort of) story...

In March 2020, the State of Indiana was preparing for a Covid-19 shutdown. My marina generally opens April 1. I happened to be at the Marina the day before the shutdown. In chatting with the yard boss, he said “ I don’t know if we will be able to launch boats if the are shut down...but if you want, we can splash you today before the state shuts down”. I said OK, and hurriedly applied my bottom paint and called my wife to have bring the steering wheel thst eas sitting my basement.

As I tied up my boat in my slip, the ONLY boat in at the time, I sure felt smug about being the only guy who would be able to sail after the shut down :cool:

That came to crashing halt a few days later when I hit to the Marina and Security wouldn’t let me in. I was not allowed to check on my boat that was in the water:banghead:

A week of complaining to Marina manager left me with an ultimatum...leave the boat in the water, and you cannot enter until the shutdown is lifted....or we will haul it out and you can get back in when the marin opens (we don’t know when that will be).

So much for my feeling smug...hauled the boat out.

About 2 weeks later, I got an email that the marina was going to open :)

It was a strange season for sure.

I stopped by the marina around Thanksgiving, stopped by the office and wished the manager a happy Thanksgiving, told her who I was, and thanked her for getting us through 2020 (and apologized for some of my sort of nasty email in the spring).

Thanks for the help with my latest project...I am sure it won’t be the last...

Have a great start to 2021,

Cheers,

Greg