Engine Stop location

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Well it looks like the problem with my diesel was an always "ON" engine stop cable.
I have a new cable from Yanmar it is 10ft long.

The previous cable ran to the engine control panel in the 1/4 berth, is this a good location? With the new longer cable I could put the stop by the throttle, which seems smarter to me.

Pros and cons please.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Having the control near the operator is best. Remember that is also your emergency shutoff. A runaway diesel would be scary enough without needing to go inside to shut it down.

Ken

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
The cable must be routed in a way that does not include any short turns that would restrict movement. Locating the shut off near the key switch allows one to verify that the shut off is pushed in and the fuel is on at that point. Near the key also reminds one to turn off the key after shutting down the engine. I have heard that there is a possibility of stepping on the extended knob and cable if the shut off cable end is low in the cockpit. We have owned a boat or two with that arrangement, so I always thought of that warning following shut off. Also, verify the direction of the pull of the shut off cable when you install it. That will be dictated by the location of the shut off lever on your engine. Phil

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
To the engine control panel is a convenient location but I have seen it placed inside the cabin by the companionway. It stays away from the elements and can also serves as a concealed engine start switch. Can't think of any situation where walking a few steps to shut off the engine would be critical. Even a runaway diesel may require that the air supply may be cut off by blocking the intake tube at the engine.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I couldn't even imagine any location that isn't within an easy arm's reach from the helm. Your engine shut down is not merely a convenience, but also for an emergency, like an engine equipment related fire, or the reasons above. As for locating it by the key, I should think it wouldn't take one very many dead batteries before one learned to turn the key off when finished with the engine.