Engine Spares for Coastal Cruising

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Actually, the spoilers of the two-week cruise(s) in my experiences have not been due to engine issues that might be repaired at destination to save the cruise if parts were aboard. In the latest version, our cruising partners had to quit the cruise b/c they could not anchor the boat securely due to inadequate ground tackle plus had a windlass with a frozen clutch. Earlier, we had to quit a cruise already after two weeks (day 16) when our house bank had become so depleted that it could not be maintained. On a different group cruise a couple gave it up after the first stop due to a windlass that would not work.:cuss: I think I remember one that failed b/c the head gave out, so they went home early. I do remember one friend sailing a Catalina 38 who lost his propeller after sailing across the San Pedro Channel, and who turned right around and went home. [It was night and he discovered this when he powered up the diesel to enter Avalon Harbor.] I did lose my prop once backing out of my slip to depart on a cruise and could not get the replacement parts for over a week. But the boat had to be hauled for repair; so having the part would not have helped had I already arrived at destination when the failure occurred, etc. My starter burned-up once when I left the slip to go to the pump out, and the HP had to put me back in my slip. That was lucky, as I was not just leaving for some cruise destination.

Last edited:

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Stuart, I just replaced my cooling hoses. The old ones looked ok so I kept those as spares. Mike