Engine size sail boat. Help please.

Aug 22, 2021
1992 mcgregor 26s san diego
hello everyone, I just purchased my first sail boat. I've actually never been on a sail boat do this is all very new to me. One question.. My 1992 mcgregor 26s came with an 8 Honda motor, I plan on going to catalina often which is about 23-26 miles. Sailing is my main goal but if the wind dies and I have to motor does the HP of the motor effect the speed I can go or am I limited to max hull speed????? I am considering swapping my 8 up for a 25 hp motor. Hitting the water for the first time on Saturday... It took me a day just to learn how to rig it up. Thanks for any info.

Attachments

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Unlike planing power boats, adding more horse power does not increase speed. The boat's top speed is roughly hull speed. The 8 HP Honda should drive it at hull speed and have some extra power to punch through waves or overcome headwinds.

The other issue is the strength of the motor mount and the transom. The transom and motor mount are probably not strong enough to support the weight and the torque from a larger motor.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Some MacGregor's can plane and therefore go faster than displacement hull speed. I don't think the s is one of them. But then I'm not well versed in MacGregor's. Lots of folks on this forum are so your answer will be forthcoming.
You do need to find out if the boat is rated for that much power. Otherwise you could break it. There may be a plate or stamp somewhere on the transom which specifies maximum power.

Jul 21, 2021
Helsen HMS 23 Bloomington
Some MacGregor's can plane and therefore go faster than displacement hull speed. I don't think the s is one of them. But then I'm not well versed in MacGregor's. Lots of folks on this forum are so your answer will be forthcoming.
You do need to find out if the boat is rated for that much power. Otherwise you could break it. There may be a plate or stamp somewhere on the transom which specifies maximum power.
26X and 26M are the two that plane.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
...........My 1992 mcgregor 26s came with an 8 Honda motor............am I limited to max hull speed????? I am considering swapping my 8 up for a 25 hp motor.........
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new sailboat!!

Same question came up on this thread: Maximum motor size for Mac 26S | Sailboat Owners Forums 8 hp is fine since you are limited by hull speed as
dlochner said, albeit some in that thread have 9.9 hp engines. This thread addresses what the maximum hull speed is Realistic average motoring speed for a 26S ? | Sailboat Owners Forums

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
When I purchased my H26, it had a Honda 9.9 standard shaft. It was heavy and the prop kept coming out of the water in swells. I swapped it out for a Tohatsu 6 long shaft. Great decision.

6 HP was enough to push my boat (slightly heavier than yours) at hull speed at about 3/4 throttle. The lighter weight was nice also. A smaller motor is easier to man-handle and if you need to service it, you can easily cary it to the car and take it home.

And BTW: Sailboat is one word not two ;)

Jan 19, 2010
Thanks for all the replies, the information was very helpfu. This seems like a great community to be apart of.
I learn something new here everyday. And the SBO store guys are very helpful in running down obscure parts.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The max hull speed for your boat is 6.5 kt. The 8-hp Honda should be able to get you to that in flat waters. You slow down a bit (usually by choice) in opposing seas which you will often encounter departing from Long Beach or San Pedro. Also, you might wish to do a shake-down run the day prior. Launch at Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro, motor down to Alamitos Bay and back. That’s about 14 n.mi. RT. It can prove a poor idea to take off across the waters offshore in a “new” boat w/o a shake down, etc. Also, try out the ground tackle in the anchorage at Cabrillo Beach b/f departing to Alamitos Bay. If the engine quits and there is no wind, you might need it.

Also, it seems apparent that you do not know how to sail. You might find yourself totally reliant on that engine to make destination. Buy some towing insurance (BOAT US) and test the VHF marine radio. Radio checks are conducted on VHF Channel 9. If you hail for a RC on Channel 16 the coast guard will break in and instruct you not to use Ch 16 for radio checks, etc. But at least you know that you were heard. Unfortunately, there are usually few boaters monitoring Ch 9 so you might wish to ask someone to listen for you, if practical.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021
1992 mcgregor 26s san diego
The max hull speed for your boat is 6.5 kt. The 8-hp Honda should be able to get you to that in flat waters. You slow down a bit (usually by choice) in opposing seas which you will often encounter departing from Long Beach or San Pedro. Also, you might wish to do a shake-down run the day prior. Launch at Cabrillo Beach in San Pedro, motor down to Alamitos Bay and back. That’s about 14 n.mi. RT. It can prove a poor idea to take off across the waters offshore in a “new” boat w/o a shake down, etc. Also, try out the ground tackle in the anchorage at Cabrillo Beach b/f departing to Alamitos Bay. If the engine quits and there is no wind, you might need it.

Also, it seems apparent that you do not know how to sail. You might find yourself totally reliant on that engine to make destination. Buy some towing insurance (BOAT US) and test the VHF marine radio. Radio checks are conducted on VHF Channel 9. If you hail for a RC on Channel 16 the coast guard will break in and instruct you not to use Ch 16 for radio checks, etc. But at least you know that you were heard. Unfortunately, there are usually few boaters monitoring Ch 9 so you might wish to ask someone to listen for you, if practical.
100 percent have no idea how to sail. I doubt my 8 hours of YouTube school is going to help, you get why I'm so worried about a functional motor.. I would imagine I will be using it way more than the wind lol!!!! thank you

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It belatedly occurs to me that your sailboat may not have an installed VHF radio & fixed antenna. If not, recommend a basic (not multi-featured digital) Standard Horizon handheld and spare batteries. You might wish one to talk to the harbor masters at Two Harbor’s mooring fields if that is where you go. But also, to the guys at Avalon. FYI. Two Harbors administers all moorings except those at Avalon. A cell phone is not a substitute for the VHF radio exchanges there. Also, cell phones of today are usually two-handed “operations.” Whereas, the basic handheld VHF models are effectively one handed “operations”, preferred. You’ll find out what I mean!;)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
100 percent have no idea how to sail.
There are about a dozen certified sailing schools in your area.... a quick google located this well rated option

Unlike a "real" school, you get to spend time on the water with another enthusiast and have fun.

Or if $$$ is tight, talk to some sailors at the marina. Tell them you just bought a boat and want to learn...and if anyone is planning a sail in the near future, you'd be happy to supply the beer in exchange for some pointers. Sailors love to entertain on their boats and most would be happy to take a newb out for a day.

Something I have observed when I have taught people to sail... if a person is taught what NOT to do in order to stay safe and then how to make the boat go in the general direction desired... the rest they figure out eventually and have fun doing it. And it will take the rest of your life to become "an expert"... so the fun never ends.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Every. Single. Day. "Radio Check" on 16. "Coast Guard Sector Los Angeles, Channel 16 is for hailing and distress only. Do not conduct radio checks on channel 16." Give it a half hour and somebody will do it again.

Thus, conducting the check on 16 is a great way to see if the Coasties can hear you... :)

In seriousness, use channel 9. Or have a handheld and a built in VHF and test them against each other.

BoatUS towing is also fantastic advice. If you need a tow it's an amazing amount of $$$ out of pocket. I'd add towing insurance to the trailer too. Trailers can be a major PITA. Keep the bearings in top shape and make sure they don't get hot while towing.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Or if $$$ is tight, talk to some sailors at the marina. Tell them you just bought a boat and want to learn...and if anyone is planning a sail in the near future, you'd be happy to supply the beer in exchange for some pointers. Sailors love to entertain on their boats and most would be happy to take a newb out for a day.
RGranger just described me. I'll take anybody out at least once. I've taken randos off the dock. MeetUp people. etc.. I love to teach folks how to sail. I generally don't require the beer, but it's always nice.

Once you get some know-how, if you really wanna learn find a race boat that needs crew. Most racers aren't all that gung-ho for absolute newbies, you need to have a pretty firm grasp of the basics first. Beer is almost always required.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
We had the dagger board version of your boat which was built prior to yours. We had a 9.9 Honda on the back which did great. But I added a two horsepower Honda for the dinghy and when I tried it pushing the 26 I could get about four and a half or five miles an hour out of the little two horse, so eight is more than enough for you. I too purchased our McGregor 26D having never sailed and having actually never been on board a sailboat. I had a neighbor who said he would teach me to sail, then when the day came his wife and kids were sick so he canceled. We knew we could operate the boat under power and I'd put the sales up and down on the trailer in the yard so I knew how to do that. So our first day out (figuring we could always drop the sales and motor back in) and very calm water we put up the sales and learn to maneuver a bit. The wind increased as the day progressed and by the time the day was over we had white caps and a grin that was difficult to feel off my face. Naturally I learned what a crash jibe was very quickly. I try not to do that anymore. We were entirely self-taught. I would read about something on the internet and then go try it. It worked out fine for us. That was 20 years ago and we are now on our third sailboat which happens to be a 30 ft Hunter. Lessons are good, getting advice and help from a competent sailor makes a lot of sense, but should not keep you from having a lot of fun with that boat.