Engine Monitoring

Apr 1, 2019
Hunter 376 Niantic
I have a 96 Hunter 376 with a Yanmar 3JH2E that has no gauges, just idiot lights for oil pressure and water temp. And because we only use the motor occasionally (in and out of dock) it would be prudent to know the thing is running within spec. So I found and interface that will work with my NMEA2000 network and will provide information to my chart plotter. That's all fairly simple stuff, but the question is, is there another oil pressure port in the motor or do I need to remove the factory sending unit and replace with a new sending unit. I can't seem to find info on this anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
I have a 96 Hunter 376 with a Yanmar 3JH2E that has no gauges, just idiot lights for oil pressure and water temp. And because we only use the motor occasionally (in and out of dock) it would be prudent to know the thing is running within spec. So I found and interface that will work with my NMEA2000 network and will provide information to my chart plotter. That's all fairly simple stuff, but the question is, is there another oil pressure port in the motor or do I need to remove the factory sending unit and replace with a new sending unit. I can't seem to find info on this anywhere.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Hi
I can help
The oil sensor on the engine is a go-no-go for the “idiot light”
It is basically nothing more than a NC switch.
There is an oil pressure transducer which can “T into” this port, or there mask be an unused port which has an existing plug in it.
First thing you need to know.
Doug Dykens at Mastrey is the man who knows everything. Contact him to find out how & where to tap in a linear output oil sensor output.
So, you said you found a linear interface for your instruments N2K. I’m interested in what you are referring to.
Hunter used a Teleflex unit, which is no longer available. It has been replaced by another unit from a UK outfit.
So, let’s start a conversation, and I’ll guide you through.
You are welcome to PM me.

Arthur

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
When I installed a Nolan’s Engineering RS11 for the same purpose, I got a dual switch/sender - VDO makes them, just get one with the correct threads for your engine. The unit you got has to be able to supply constant current to the sensor. I have gauges to match the sensors so I can calibrate. The antisense has pull downs for setting the ohm rating of the sensor.

Apr 1, 2019
Hunter 376 Niantic
I purchased NoLand Engineering - RS11 V4 NMEA 2000 CANbus Engine Data Converter - Engine Monitor from NavStore and it seems to fit the bill to convert a non-digital engine to NMEA 2000, the person I called seemed to be very knowledgeable on the process although not with this particular engine. I just looked at the repair manual and there seems to be a port on the oil filter bracket but I will need to wait until later this week to check on that.....

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Not familiar with the 3JH, but on the 3GM series, there is an unused port that is plugged on the same bracket drilling and right next to the existing oil pressure switch. I suspect that the JH series has something similar. Careful with a "T" because the three cylinder engines shake a bunch and if the T is just a bit heavy or long, it will crack where the thing screws into the block.. Once that breaks off, it won't take long for the oil pump to pump all of the engine oil out into the bilge.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Not familiar with the 3JH, but on the 3GM series, there is an unused port that is plugged on the same bracket drilling and right next to the existing oil pressure switch. I suspect that the JH series has something similar. Careful with a "T" because the three cylinder engines shake a bunch and if the T is just a bit heavy or long, it will crack where the thing screws into the block.. Once that breaks off, it won't take long for the oil pump to pump all of the engine oil out into the bilge.
Hi everyone
These are all excellent responses.
The Noland is a direct replacement for the Teleflex unit, and these guys are smart. As well, their product is excellent quality.
So, in summary, you now know this is doable, and doesn’t require a mechanic or electronic guru to get it running

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
May 17, 2014
hunter 380 Plano, TX
Thanks. Great info, Have a lot of work to get done to get her ready to cruise