Engine Model ID???

May 21, 2017
Allmand 31 31 Lake Superior
I have a 3 cyl. Universal diesel in my 1982 Allman 31. I am trying to determine the model number. Previous owner is no help. I think it may be an M25 or maybe an M30. Internet search says the model number is on the exhaust manifold, but I have not been able to find it. Anyone have an idea or trick to ID this? I will be needing to get oil and fuel filters soon. (by the way, it starts and runs great)

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
As far as the filters go just get the part numbers off of the currently installed filters and have a parts store cross reference them. You can also cross reference them yourself online.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
A picture sure would help.
IMG_20180321_142916 (Small).jpg

The model # is behind the thermostat. The exhaust manifold is on the right and has no engine information on it.

This is an M25, 1986.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
I can see what looks like a wix part number on the fuel filter as well, but I can't read quite read it. Take those numbers to an auto parts store and they should be able to fix you right up.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Bill sorry I cannot see a number on the engine. I did wonder about a hose riding on the engine pump pulley wrapped up with tape. You might want to modify the path it takes so that it does not wear a hole in the hose and spray its contents all over the engine compartment.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
This is a Kubota engine that was marinized by Universal. The Kubota # is on a flat around maybe below the diesel injection pump. There were a few Kubota parts and shop manuals on the Catalina30 group website.
My local Kubota dealer was NOT able to look up part numbers but could get all the parts I needed if I brought him the part number. It also helps sometimes if you know the tractor that uses this engine- that will take you some search and match time on Google. I had a cracked head and got the major parts and gasket sets from Kumar Bros in NJ- much lower than Universal or Kubota parts