Engine lift - 1984 Hunter 37C

D_Bosh

Sep 14, 2021
Hunter 37C Hamilton
Our boat has been on the hard of two years as we have been planning to replace the prop shaft (drivetrain), rudder bearings, engine control panel and battery charge and electrical system components.

One thing I’ve been wondering about is during the four years we’ve had the boat, it’s had a very greasy/oily bilge. This has seemed to worsen, even when not in use. I’m wondering if I should plan to haul out the engine and carry out an overhaul. This engine has been reliable. I believe it’s a Yanmar 3GM30 and has only ever been in fresh water. My questions:
1) what do you suspect the problem may be?
2) is this fatal?
3) should the engine be pulled?
4) if haul out (of engine) is required, should I get that contracted out professional?
If you have raised an engine on a H37c, how did you do it? The reason I ask is because it’s a very tight area, locate just aft of the companionway threshold. I’m concerned about doing all of this work on her, put her back in in the spring only to have engine (new culprit) failure to sideline another season.

As usual, thank you all for your advice.

Much appreciated,

DB

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

1. Problem - this thread discusses possible bilge oil sources and troubleshooting Oil in my Bilge | Sailboat Owners Forums
2. Fatal - no, but annoying.
3. Pull engine - if it was my boat I would get several diesel mechanic opinions beofe I decided to pull the engine.
4. DIY - depends on your experience.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome to the SBO Forum @D_Bosh and congrats on your new to you boat. The Hunter is a great boat.
Older boats have these issues. Unlikely a fatal issue, but it can sideline your adventures for a while.

I have been working on my "good old boat" since 2015 when we came together.

Prioritize a plan to work on those things that you can and schedule the work for those that you dare not do.

With the engine, if diesel mechanics is not your cup of tea, have the engine inspected. You may find that the issue is as simple as tightening the bolts on a drip pan, or reinstalling a gasket. The telltale dribble lines of oil or diesel fuel are a clue to the bolt/gasket challenge.

Engine removal and overhaul while they may give you an upgrade, may not fix everything. Learning to accept the constant little failures and repairs is the pain of boat ownership.

Throughout my 6 years of ownership, I have not allowed the repair challenges to stop my using the boat for adventures.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Sail SFbay has provided a link to a really good read. To be honest if you are not sure what engine you have you need to do some homework before you open up your wallet. Follow the recommendations in the link to precisely determine the source of the leak.

Get a good flashlight and a mirror to help because the view under and around the engine is difficult. On my HC 37 the views are from the cabin (front and underneath) from the quarter berth (port side, rear and transmission) from the companion way (top) and from the starboard side of the companion way the the drawers removed (starboard side and injectors).

HC 37 is a great boat.