Engine gateway data from Yanmar 3GM30(f) to chartplotter.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
My goal is to display engine data from my 1999 Yanmar on my B&G Zeus chartplotter and I'm pretty confused about how to make this happen.

I'm reading Panbo about using a YDES-04 NMEA 2000 connector (from Yacht Devices) for older engines that use J1708 to carry J1587 logical data protocol. Honestly, I don't have any idea what this means, and I'm essentially looking for a plug and play solution. The YDES-4 is essentially a 2-pin connector that mates with a diagnostic connector on the engine. Panbo is writing about the gateway from an older Volvo-Penta engine and doesn't mention compatibility with a Yanmar.

But, I've also seen other devices, such as the PCM-09 engine gateway with a 6-pin connector. I saw that Yanmar sells displays that can be mounted at my instrument pod (and can connect with the chartplotter via NMEA 2000 connectivity), but I don't know if the Yanmar displays are useable with older model yanmar engines.
I suspect that these displays are only compatible with the engines listed as "related products" on their website.

If anybody has ever installed an engine instrument gateway to their chartplotter, I would love to see how it's done. I'm starting with the rat's nest of wires in the insturment pod ...

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
J1708 and j1587 are the diagnostic link protocols - think the code reader plug in on your car or truck. (Obdii). Looks likely that the yanmar product is similar as it mentions diagnostic codes.

What model engine do you have? That should determine if you have a computer module collecting information that can be forwarded on to the nmea 2000

Otherwise you need to get a module that can receive information from your existing engine sensors and then forward it on to the nmea 2000.

I remember coming across a module/gateway that would allow transmission of data from existing sensors. I’ll see if I can find it again.

Looks like Actisense makes one - not sure about reliability, durability etc. - just that this is the type of thing you’re lookin* for if you have an older, non computerized motor.

EMU-1 NMEA 2000® Engine Monitoring Unit

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Sorry. Just noticed you indicate a 3gm30f. According to the manual electrical diagram there is no digital module - strictly analog sensors so you will need module to interface the analog sensors and then convert/transmit the information to the NMEA 2000.

A search for “ analog to nmea 2000” will give you a variety of options including the Actisense.

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
Oct 26, 2008
Thanks for everything above! I think this takes me much further down the road! I'm still working on cleaning up the instrument pod at the base of the my pedestal and I'm ready to wrap that project up if the weather would cooperate for going down to the boat. March has been miserable so far!

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,

As mentioned, your engine is 100% analog. That's both good and bad. Good in that it's simple to run and you don't have to worry about a computer or sensor failure preventing your engine from running. As long as there is fuel (and compression and air) the engine will run forever. You will need 12V for the fuel pump but that's it. The bad is that if you want any engine data you need to convert it to digital and then put it on the network.

So what data do you want? Engine RPM and coolant temperature for sure. What else? Fuel pressure, exhaust gas temp, alternator output, fuel burn at current rpm.....? Add a sensor for each and away you go.

Good luck,
Barry

Oct 26, 2008
So what data do you want? Engine RPM and coolant temperature for sure. What else? Fuel pressure, exhaust gas temp, alternator output, fuel burn at current rpm.....? Add a sensor for each and away you go.

Good luck,
Barry
Right ... I'm thinking that all the sensors (including the fuel gauge) I need are already installed. They have the wires leading to my existing analog instrument panel. I just need to pair the wires to the converter in the correct slot and then link to the backbone with a NMEA 2000 spur. I'm a little confused by the ActiSense discussion about a configuration tool (NGT-1). I'm figuring that it is not necessary. It sounds like it is used with a PC for diagnostics and information .... I'm only wanting to repeat the analog readings on my CP for easier viewing.

Actually, alternator output & fuel burn would be really nice to add!

Apr 4, 2013
Jeanneau 43DS Hong Kong
Right ... I'm thinking that all the sensors (including the fuel gauge) I need are already installed. They have the wires leading to my existing analog instrument panel. I just need to pair the wires to the converter in the correct slot and then link to the backbone with a NMEA 2000 spur. I'm a little confused by the ActiSense discussion about a configuration tool (NGT-1). I'm figuring that it is not necessary. It sounds like it is used with a PC for diagnostics and information .... I'm only wanting to repeat the analog readings on my CP for easier viewing.

Actually, alternator output & fuel burn would be really nice to add!
Hi there

I am trying to achieve the same with my Yanmar engine, also analog.

what interface are you going to use?

Fuel consumption will be difficult, as diesel engines have the fuel return, thus, you would need to measure the flow before and after the engine in order to calculate the consumption.

cheers

Jun 17, 2022
Hunter 380 Comox BC
Hi there

I am trying to achieve the same with my Yanmar engine, also analog.

what interface are you going to use?

Fuel consumption will be difficult, as diesel engines have the fuel return, thus, you would need to measure the flow before and after the engine in order to calculate the consumption.

cheers
You won't be able to get fuel flow from the analogue engine... you would need an ap that estimated fuel flow from engine rpm, which is possible with open plotter.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
That device gots lots of bad reviews on Amazon.
I hope it works for you.

let us know.

Greg

Jun 17, 2022
Hunter 380 Comox BC
What model yanmar? Does it have a flywheel tach sensor or alternator sensor?