Engine exhaust hose rust at hull exit

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Hi all
Well first a lesson learned. When you store your floaty toys, wash buckets, etc and you notice some rust one them at the first of the season.... investigate it!

My issue. I have fairly significant rust and some leaking on the bottom of the hose where it dumps overboard and this didnt happen quickly, its been over time obviously. I suspect from bobbing up and down in places like Catalina, etc.
So looking for some advice and thoughts.

If I dont have too, I dont want to replace the entire exhaust host because of expense and the royal pain its gonna be to do. Just not a spring chicken anymore.

Could I cut the hose just above the rust, and then reattach at the exhaust port? I inspected the hose at several places all the way up to the mixing elbow and it looks in good condition. My loop is four feet coming out in the bottom of the lazarette, over the top to just over three feet to the exhaust pipe.

See the pics, and a final note. If you dont have any rescue tape get some. It basically stopped the leak to a drip and we put a good three hours of motoring to get home.

Thanks and happy holidays to all.

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
That hose has steel wire inside to reinforce it. The rubber has rotted and the wire is showing you need to replace that hose sooner rather than later

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
That hose has steel wire inside to reinforce it. The rubber has rotted and the wire is showing you need to replace that hose sooner rather than later
I concur it must be replaced ASAP. I just want to research the options I have. The hose shows rot only about 8 inches up if you can use my wifes size 7 as a reference.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I know it won't be a fun or inexpensive job, but what you're seeing is significant decay of a 20+ year old hose, assuming it's original. I'm afraid if you try to replace just a small section now you'll be chasing problems further up sometime soon.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It is likely the corrosion and rot extends up past the visibly damaged area due to water wicking up the wire. Change the hose.

Vetus makes Slang exhaust hose, it is not cheap, however it is reported to be more flexible than other exhaust hoses and therefore easier to run.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Run new hose from the water lift/muffler to the hull exit now at a minimum. Might be a pain but it will really suck when the hose gives way one afternoon and dumps exhaust water into your boat……

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
I am wondering if the hose was not the correct diameter for the exhaust fitting.
Inner diameter too small.
Did someone in the yard shave away some of the inner diameter rubber at the original installation?
Just a thought.
I would cut the bad patch out and inspect interior of remaining hose before going (expensive) drastic.
On many larger vessels (fishing boats etc) when a run from the engine to exhaust outlet is long or difficult to run because of bends and equipment in the way, the hose is run in two or three sections and joined.
This is acceptable from a safety aspect if proper connectors used.

gary

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Run new hose from the water lift/muffler to the hull exit now at a minimum. Might be a pain but it will really suck when the hose gives way one afternoon and dumps exhaust water into your boat……
Of course the failure will happen as some convenient time and place, like 15 miles off shore with no wind amidst a bevy of thunderstorms while sitting in a shipping lane. :rolleyes:

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Im taking this very seriously. Good news if its just in the slip, all should be well for now.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
First question...
Is the through hull above or below the water line?

If below, you will get water into the boat when you attempt to remove the old hose. It is possible (if you move quickly/smoothly) to remove the old hose, slip on the new hose to the through hull (before you run it forward to the exhaust muffler or exhaust pipe). You need the pipe Inside Diameter and length before you start removing pipe. I would look for the ID at the muffler not the through hull. That way you do not have a gusher until you got the new hose ready. Check that your bilge pump is working. There will be water, just slide the new hose over the through hull and the water will stop. Put the clamps either on the hose or on the through hull stub. Note: the exhaust pipe end of the hose will be un attached. If you forget to slip on the clamps it will still be possible.

I just did this on my 47HP Perkins. It took 2" Diameter Hose. It used Vetus Wire reinforced exhaust hose. It was flexible and met the ABYC recommendations for marine boats. The Vetus hose was much easier to work with than the original manufacturer's hose.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Thanks JS. Over my 20+ of enjoying yet slaving over a boat, I have done the exhaust once "on my first boat, a Hunter 336." I have read so many of your posts and respect them. My exhaust outlet at the water line is ok. The hose connection sits at least 4 or so inches above. I dont expect any water to come in. It would be so nice if someone had done this on a 420 with some measurements. I am going to cut out the hose in pieces just cause I am curious about inspecting it. My plan is to run from the muffler to the outlet. Gonna be a bitch but I have a good partner. She doesnt mind getting her hands dirty. I like what Gary said that thanks also to Diochner. Gonna be tough but so far no better ideas out there.

Cheers
If anybody know the size of the hose and length from muffler, that would rock!

May 29, 2018
Hi Dick.
What is the external condition of the hose at the exhaust manifold (the hottest and saltiest section) at the inlet of the muffler and the out let of the muffler?
Do you have photos of them?

gary

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
While you are there... replace the hose section from the engine to the WL muffler, as well. Any time beyond about 20 or 25 years puts you way into the failure zone for these hoses.
(You may not want to acknowledge it, but if your other rubber/composite hoses on both 'sides' of the fuel tank are this old it's time to replace them as well.
It's just expected preventative maintenance to keep from having to deal with an engine emergency away from home sometime during your vacation... Somewhere where parts cost twice as much, key tools are not at hand, and logistics are working against you... :(

• Helpful

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Does anyone want to buy a good used Hunter 420 Passage? Kidding.... here we go again., 25 years I have been crawling in the bottom of the boat. Here we go again.

Cheers

May 29, 2018
Replace with wireless hose.
If trimming back and only replacing the last couple of feet use fiberglass connectors on a vertical run.
gary

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
AH, Yes. Rescue Tape. I've been having a heat issue with my engine and we finally cured it by flushing the antifreeze side of the system. When everything was put back together, the lower hose to the engine water pump was installed just a tad wrong. It was rubbing on a fan belt and we didn't notice it. So we're motoring in very very light winds against the current and suddenly the engine temperature gauge goes to max. Yep, wore a hole through the hose and drained all the antifreeze. I wrapped the hose for about an inch on both sides of the hole with Rescue Tape. Refilled the engine with just plain water because I knew I was replacing the hose once we got back to the slip. Motored for about 45 minutes to the marina with NO leakage from the tape. :D