Engine Cover Attachment

Jun 2, 2009
Catalina 310 Ephraim WI
The hinge screws that attach the engine cover to the sole plate have pulled out. It does not seem there is an easy way to get under the sole plate to through bolt the hinges.
Any good ideas on how to re-attach the hinges to the sole plate would be appreciated.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Similar answer as Ted but I used epoxy to fill and start over. The problem comes from letting the engine cover go all the way down to the cabin flour. If you use the retaining strap it doesn't happen as easily.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 77 Atlantic Highlands NJ NJ
Has anyone replaced the hinges so that the engine cover can be removed completely? It would make access much easier.

Oct 17, 2011
Catalina 310 USA
Similar answer as Ted but I used epoxy to fill and start over. The problem comes from letting the engine cover go all the way down to the cabin flour. If you use the retaining strap it doesn't happen as easily.
Retaining strap??? Mine (#112) does not appear to have this.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Retaining strap??? Mine (#112) does not appear to have this.
The blue one is new. The original failed at one of the clips so I replaced it. I did move the attachment location as I have been playing around with locations of various components to fit the Racor 500 and upgraded fuel pump (still not completely done with that).

Attachments

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
@JK_Boston_Catalina310 your pictures are a gold mine of info when I start really examining them, thanks! I say start a thread with here are my pics, you figure it out what is different!

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Like the mirror on the head door? I like it!

Cheers
dj

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
The blue one is new. The original failed at one of the clips so I replaced it. I did move the attachment location as I have been playing around with locations of various components to fit the Racor 500 and upgraded fuel pump (still not completely done with that).
I like the location of your fuel filter. I am replacing mine tomorrow, but first I have to move a lot of stuff out of the aft cabin so that I can remove the forward full length cushion to gain access to the filter. I used to completely empty the cabin and remove both cushions, but I read on this forum that the plywood access panels could be cut in half, so that only the one cushion would need to be removed. What was Catalina thinking?
Anyway, your location for the Racor could be a lifesaver when the time comes to change the filter in a hurry.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
the time comes to change the filter in a hurry.
I've got it down to 7 minutes while adrift.
This what I inherited
IMG_0724.JPG
It was a nightmare to change.
This is what I installed in its place.
IMG_0786.JPG
It is a pleasure to change.
This is what the filter looked like when the engine died...
IMG_1169.JPG
Fuel contamination.
Now all better.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
If you look at jssailem's photos his has the metal bowl. That is the correct one for where I mounted the filter. I need to add the metal bowl but I am having a hard time finding the bowl in the Caribbean and getting parts shipped is hard now that we are cruising again.

I wanted the Racor 500 because of the cost of the replacement filters and the ease of the change. Like jssailem I can change in about 5 minutes.

The location is tricky. I am still moving stuff around to make it all fit. But it is ideal for changing in a hurry.