Electronics Upgrade

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
I meet with the local Marine Electronics dealer tomorrow AM to pencil out the new Electronics. I'm going with Raymarine for a lot of reasons. I will be adding a linear actuator autopilot to replace the wheel pilot currently installed along with a new plotter and digital radar on a mast located aft along the starboard side. I'm hoping for a relatively pain free install and am having the system dealer installed to eliminate any future warranty issues that may arise. Its worth the additional $300 to $400 dollars to have that peace of mind. I'll be adding a remote VHF and a remote lighting control panel at the helm at the same time. The canvas folks show up Saturday morning to begin the new canvas work. Its going to be a fun 3 to 4 months for sure. Any and all suggestions still are welcome.:dancing:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Kimble, perhaps a beer tap or rum dispenser (the kind the bartender uses) at the helm could be next.:)

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
LOL*...you are all funny guys....actually the 300 - 400 dollars is the cost of the units above what I can get it for from an internet source. FYI ...I like the idea of a beer tap at the helm...but I will settle for continuing to have the Admiral bring me my grog. It will take them a few days to get the estimate for the install and I should have it next week sometime. I'm hoping to pull some of the wires myself and I will be overseeing the project with my aircraft inspectors eye as well. I'm quite excited about the whole project of updating a 20 yr old boat to bring it up to the new standards. We both love the boat so much and I said..if you get to update upholstery and canvas ...I get to update electronics...L*...such a deal

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I am at the point where I need to upgrade electronics which are all presently Raymarine.
My 11year old C60 MFD screen is getting temperamental, and is doubtless on its way to the grave. I'm not sure I want to stay with Raymarine and not necessarily opposed to it but, have been looking at the others. The plan is to install a new MFD and radar, but not the other instrumentation, and especially not the autopilot course computer.

My question pertains to the ability of interfacing my ST60 tridata, and wind, as well as my autopilot. Are there adapters available that would interface with a backbone in a new MFD?
I think the old ST60 seatalk is essentially NMEA0183, and everything else at this time including Seatalk NG is NMEA2000.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I'm looking at the same type of work next winter, so will be curious how it works out for you with a professional installation of Ray products. One of the VHF items I looked at was a built-in AIS receiver which can be integrated (NMEA 2000) with your chartplotter multi-display. Raymarine has this capability on their top-of-the line Ray70, but all you need is a NMEA feed, not necessarily from the same company. B&G, ICOM, and Standard Horizon radios are all 20% cheaper than Ray's VHF, and the quality is good. Perhaps you should consider mixing to save some cash?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I installed this Simrad rs35 and the wireless handset last year..... the radio retails for $350...handset is $149 retail.... B&G version is identical. Lowrance Link 8 is 300 bucks but not wireless handset compatible. AIS, Hailer, n2k, DSC fleet calling etc.... can't imagine what else you need. Simrad/B&G/Lowrance are subsidiaries of Navico. They have nice MFD/Radar package... also check Garmin... good stuff.

Aug 21, 2006
Pearson 367 Alexandria, VA
One last thing to consider - a wireless remote for the autopilot. If you do any singlehand or even shorthand sailing you will find a wireless remote to be a powerful safety tool. It will allow you to move about the boat and maintain the ability to control your boat without having to make a mad & clumsy dash to the cockpit when you need to make course corrections.

I went with the S100 because of the form factor & size. However, there are times when I wish I had the expanded display of the SmartController - something to think about.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
I'm going with the S100..went out with a friend recently and used the remote to dodge lobstah pots on the way in and out of the harbor...it was a lot easier than shouting from the bow back to the helm.....

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hi,
Yes, Raymarine makes adapters to convert the ST60 Seatalk output to Seatalk NG/ NMEA2000.
I did the same thing a few years ago - got the output from the ST wind and speed to input into my Garmin 740S, which uses NMEA2000. This year I changed from the Garmin to a B&G Vulcan and everything is communicating nicely.
The part you need is:
Raymarine SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng converter kit
Part Number: E22158
You might need another adapter to convert from the Raymarine connector (Seatalk NG) to a standard NMEA2000 connector. Raymarine makes those as well with different genders as required.

Barry

My question pertains to the ability of interfacing my ST60 tridata, and wind, as well as my autopilot. Are there adapters available that would interface with a backbone in a new MFD?
I think the old ST60 seatalk is essentially NMEA0183, and everything else at this time including Seatalk NG is NMEA2000.

Sovt

Jul 2, 2014
Fuji 36 New Baltimore NY
Hi,
Yes, Raymarine makes adapters to convert the ST60 Seatalk output to Seatalk NG/ NMEA2000.
I did the same thing a few years ago - got the output from the ST wind and speed to input into my Garmin 740S, which uses NMEA2000. This year I changed from the Garmin to a B&G Vulcan and everything is communicating nicely.
The part you need is:
Raymarine SeaTalk1 to SeaTalkng converter kit
Part Number: E22158
You might need another adapter to convert from the Raymarine connector (Seatalk NG) to a standard NMEA2000 connector. Raymarine makes those as well with different genders as required.

Barry
There are restrictions as to which Seatalk versions can be connected too NMEA 2000 networks. You cannot have a three way network with SeaTalk1/SeaTalkng/NMEA2000.

From the SeaTalk Reference Manual .

"Limitations when SeaTalk(1) products are connected
If SeaTalkng and SeaTalk(1) products are used together, do NOT connect an
NMEA2000 backbone, as this product combination could compromise the integrity of
the NMEA2000 system.
Using with SeaTalk(1)
Provided you do not want to connect to NMEA2000, you can connect a SeaTalkng
system to SeaTalk(1) using a suitable SeaTalkng bridging product (such as an ST70
instrument) and adaptor cables to connect the two systems.
If you intend doing this, note that:
• You can connect a single SeaTalk(1) network to SeaTalkng using an adaptor cable
and one bridging product (e.g. ST70 instrument).
• You can connect two separate SeaTalk(1) networks to SeaTalkng using different
adaptor cables and bridging products (e.g. ST70 instruments), but the two
SeaTalk(1) networks must NOT be connected together.
Summaries of acceptable and unacceptable SeaTalkng/SeaTalk(1) scenarios are
shown in Figure 1-3 and Figure 1-4 respectively."

Google "Raymarine SeaTalkng Reference Manual" Document #81300

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
actually the 300 - 400 dollars is the cost of the units above what I can get it for from an internet source.
Folks far to often under estimate the value in buying through a legitimate dealer/installer. I have had a number of customers purchase from the lowest price on-line source only to find out the "dealer/re-seller" was not legit and this can impact the end users warranty. For example Raymarine offers a free extra year of coverage but to get it you must "register" your product with Raymarine. The registration process tells them where you bought it. They and others do similar things not so much as a customer feature, though you do get a benefit, but to help keep track of gray market distribution. In some cases an end user may be denied the free extra year because they bought it through gray market distribution channels.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
In some cases an end user may be denied the free extra year because they bought it through gray market distribution channels.
This possible practice would irritate the heck outta me. Black market, sure. But gray market?

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Folks far to often under estimate the value in buying through a legitimate dealer/installer. .
I heartily agree with Maine Sail's observation. I would never buy hardware from anyone but a legitimate dealer.
My concern has been the skill of the installer. I know of a couple of marina service facilities that are notorious for gouging unwary customers, doing a far less than professional installation, then charging the customer for the mistakes and callbacks. If, as a buyer, one doesn't have the skill set or the tools to do a proper installation, its best to bite the bullet and pay an installer with a good reputation for good work and reasonable labor.

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
To add a side note to what Maine Sail mentioned about dealer support and the "grey market" I should add that the dealer will be hooking up everything in his shop and giving all of it a thorough checkout before any of it gets installed in the boat. None of your internet discount houses will offer that service and peace of mind, plus the warranty issue is taken care of by the dealer. Save a penny spend a dime is something my folks drilled into my head.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
I should add that the dealer will be hooking up everything in his shop and giving all of it a thorough checkout before any of it gets installed in the boat. .
I wouldn't bet on it!

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
Well Doug, here is the scoop on that....This installation has been in the planning stages since we bought the boat in April of last year. I was given permission to visit the shop during the check out to ensure that everything works before the install. I'm using Coast to Coast Marine and the owner Mike and his head guy Sheldon have been nothing but excellent to work with so far. Sheldon will be meeting with me at the boat to discuss how the autopilot bracket will be mounted in the aft lazerette. As a long time aviation technician I made it clear that I expect a professional installation to my specifications which I am clearly spelling out. Preparation is a big part of the game. We have discussed both major and minor details to ensure as few problems as possible. It is a 20 yr old boat and there are bound to be a few hitches along the way. I'm pleased that they are allowing me to do some of the install myself including pulling some of the wiring and installing the radar mast. They seem genuinely excited to see my project through to completion and I'm counting on them to see it all the way through.