Electrolysis and Galvanic Action in Practice and Theory

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I ordered a copy of Collier's book last night, but it won't be here until the 18th to 20th. If no one objects to the structures of following the book and starting out with the first three sections combined, I propose each related thread follow a naming convention of "Marine Corrosion - subject/chapter" to maintain consistency and searchability.
I was also thinking of keeping a list of regular participants who's names could be tagged at the start of a new thread. I could just cut and paste into the initial post, so everyone interested would get a notice. If you want your name edited out after I tag you, no problem.
Let me know how that sounds and we can get things rolling.

-Will (Dragonfly)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
So I've read through the table of contents and my suggestions would be:

Chapters 1 through 4 consolidate into one thread something like "Corrosion Theory"
Chapter 5 sounds like it is really General Corrosion - perhaps it goes above.
Chapters 6 and 7 should definitely be each separate threads Title from book.
I'd suggest chapters 8 through 12 be consolidated into one thread perhaps "Metals n Marine Applications"
Chapters 13, 14, 15 and 18 perhaps consolidate into a thread title something like "Corrosion Protection systems for Boats"?
I'm not sure we want to tackle Chapter 16 and we have a whole thread section on plumbing, so don't do chapter 19?
Chapters 20 and 21 perhaps make one thread titled "Corrosion control from the decks and Above"? Or something like that?

What do you all think.

dj .

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'll wait until tomorrow, to see if everyone is on board with dLj's outline. If anyone wants to be tagged, let me know. I'll leave a link on this thread, as well. Then I'll start the new thread. Without everyone having read the book yet, it will be a slow start. Perhaps anyone who has read the first few chapters can give their impressions.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
So I've read through the table of contents and my suggestions would be:

Chapters 1 through 4 consolidate into one thread something like "Corrosion Theory"
Chapter 5 sounds like it is really General Corrosion - perhaps it goes above.
Chapters 6 and 7 should definitely be each separate threads Title from book.
I'd suggest chapters 8 through 12 be consolidated into one thread perhaps "Metals n Marine Applications"
Chapters 13, 14, 15 and 18 perhaps consolidate into a thread title something like "Corrosion Protection systems for Boats"?
I'm not sure we want to tackle Chapter 16 and we have a whole thread section on plumbing, so don't do chapter 19?
Chapters 20 and 21 perhaps make one thread titled "Corrosion control from the decks and Above"? Or something like that?

What do you all think.

dj .
A building is best built on a sound foundation. The early chapters are about building that foundation. While it may be redundant for those who remember high school chemistry and physics, for many it may be somewhat novel and for others a good refresher. Let's not skip too quickly through the basics to get to the "good stuff" because if we don't have the basics, the "good stuff" will be a real challenge.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
A building is best built on a sound foundation. The early chapters are about building that foundation. While it may be redundant for those who remember high school chemistry and physics, for many it may be somewhat novel and for others a good refresher. Let's not skip too quickly through the basics to get to the "good stuff" because if we don't have the basics, the "good stuff" will be a real challenge.
@dlochner I was not proposing to skip through them. In fact, by looking at the number of pages in the TOC you posted, I think it may be a bit to skimpy as is. But I haven't read the book so I don't know. However, are you suggesting that we not consolidate those chapters? Or simply issuing a word of caution? I quite agree with not going through the basics quickly.

dj

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Will I encourage you to reference it as book club thread and lay out the structure as we discussed. With participation will com an eventual separate forum dedicated to the project. Making it reference material For future members.

Jan 11, 2014
@dlochner I was not proposing to skip through them. In fact, by looking at the number of pages in the TOC you posted, I think it may be a bit to skimpy as is. But I haven't read the book so I don't know. However, are you suggesting that we not consolidate those chapters? Or simply issuing a word of caution? I quite agree with not going through the basics quickly.

dj
We should devote as much time as needed to each chapter so that participants have a decent understanding of the material. Some of us have deeper backgrounds in chemistry and physics so the early chapters will come easily, others without the background will take longer. Thus the eternal dilemma of a teacher, move quickly enough so the bright kids don't get bored and slow enough so the rest can learn. :)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
the eternal dilemma of a teacher, move quickly enough so the bright kids don't get bored and slow enough so the rest can learn
That's what I like about this forum, it's like the old one room classroom model where the bright kids help tutor the rest of us.

I've been thinking about the suggestion of asking the author to join. I like that idea, but I'm a little concerned it could squash the explosion of creative thoughts because, as THE Authority, there is no room for alternative ideas or opinion. On the other hand, I would expect the Collier would have more to add than just what he wrote in his book.

If no one has done it yet, and people are interested, I'd be happy to reach out or it might have more weight coming from someone with more of a similar background in the subject.

-Will (Dragonfly)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
We should devote as much time as needed to each chapter so that participants have a decent understanding of the material. Some of us have deeper backgrounds in chemistry and physics so the early chapters will come easily, others without the background will take longer. Thus the eternal dilemma of a teacher, move quickly enough so the bright kids don't get bored and slow enough so the rest can learn. :)
Sometimes I'm a little dense. Are you suggesting that we maintain a separate thread for each chapter?

I feel we can cover the the first chapters in one thread well without having multiple threads on the basic theory. Basic theory, molecular, molecular, chemical, electrical and general corrosion can nicely be covered in one thread. Plus it would make for a nice thread to reference in the future. But I'm open to however everyone prefers to do it.

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
because, as THE Authority, there is no room for alternative ideas or opinion.
I've never been much of a shrinking violet... He is only the authority on his book. Not the world of corrosion.

I say invite him for sure. It would be awesome to have his input!

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I've always loved this poem:

'RUST'S A MUST'

Mighty ships upon the ocean
Suffer from severe corrosion,
Even those that stay at dockside
Are rapidly becoming oxide.
Alas, that piling in the sea
Is mostly Fe2O3.
And where the ocean meets the shore,
You'll find there's Fe3O4.
'Cause when the wind is salt and gusty,
Things are getting awful rusty.

We can measure, we can test it,
We can halt it or arrest it.
We can gather it and weigh it,
We can coat it, we can spray it.
We examine and dissect it,
We cathodically protect it
We can pick it up and drop it.
But heaven knows we'll never stop it!
So here's to rust, no doubt about it,
Most of us would starve without it.

T.R.B. WATSON (DECEASED)
CORROSION SERVICES COMPANY, LTD.
TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA

Jan 11, 2014
Sometimes I'm a little dense. Are you suggesting that we maintain a separate thread for each chapter?
I think the long term value to us and future readers will be organization. The easier it is to find information, the more likely it will be found. I think it will also help contain thread drift. Mixing content will make it more difficult to follow an idea or concept. For example I might have a question about basic molecular theory and between my question and the answer might be 10 questions about electrical theory or basic chemistry, or basic corrosion processes.

So, yes, I think individual threads for each major chapter would be important. There may be chapters that could be combined because they are not really relevant to fiberglass boats, the chapter on hull corrosion, or some of the specific chapters on metals, like copper and nickel again because these are less common issues for our boats.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Dlochner's thoughts are how I was thinking it too.

Loved the poem, dLj. :beer:

-Will (Dragonfly)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I think the long term value to us and future readers will be organization. The easier it is to find information, the more likely it will be found. I think it will also help contain thread drift. Mixing content will make it more difficult to follow an idea or concept. For example I might have a question about basic molecular theory and between my question and the answer might be 10 questions about electrical theory or basic chemistry, or basic corrosion processes.

So, yes, I think individual threads for each major chapter would be important. There may be chapters that could be combined because they are not really relevant to fiberglass boats, the chapter on hull corrosion, or some of the specific chapters on metals, like copper and nickel again because these are less common issues for our boats.
@dlochner I see your point. Thread drift is a problem, being organized, for the future especially, is a concern. My thoughts are the book has 21 chapters, disregarding the appendixes. The schema I proposed has 6 sections. I feel that would be a better organized format than many threads.

However, I don't think I'm the best person to decide what may be easier as I have a pretty well developed knowledge in corrosion. Sometimes it's better to have folks with less knowledge or other perspectives voice an opinion. So I'd suggest that everyone listening to this put in their own thoughts and we can do this as a consensus. However everyone feels best to move forward is how we should do this.

@Will Gilmore
@DArcy
@mermike
@jssailem
@JamesG161
@ontherocks83
@rgranger
@Mark Maulden
@Maine Sail
anybody else.....

If you all can weight in: What do you think would be the best way to do this?

dj

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'm in favor of laying it out the way dLj laid it out in post #62.
Separate threads, but with links at appropriate sections.

-Will (Dragonfly)