Electrolysis and Galvanic Action in Practice and Theory

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I do think we should out this in a special section. Perhaps the title should be review of the book, then under that heading each chapter. Should we contact the author?

dj

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Is that what we want this to be, a book review?

I don't mind, but it isn't what I had in mind at the start. I would like to see a place where people of knowledge and experience interact with people looking for knowledge and understanding. Considering the scientific nature of the subject, basing it on a book is sensible enough. Or, we could get a special section for, what; Marine Corrosion? and the book review is just the first thread in a series of threads.

I'll send a query to Phil after we get a little more input on how it should look.

-Will (Dragonfly)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Until I get the book and read it, I can't really give good input. But my take is it is not really a book review but rather a format that provides an organized structure based on the chapter headings in that book.

dj

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Gentlemen. I like this idea and the concepts make sense to me. Phil is taking a break, BrianD has been put in charge. I’ll send him a query on his thoughts.
john

Just thinking about this, it might be best placed in the “Special Interest” forum category.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH

$894.90
+ $3.99 shipping
Note: Not eligible for Amazon Prime.

I thought, 'Are you kidding me?'

then I see...

Format Paperback
$ 21 49
FREE One-Day
Note: Available at a lower price from other sellers, potentially without free Prime shipping.
Qualifies for free shipping.

Paperback $22.00 from Barns & Nobels
The Boatowner's Guide to Corrosion: A Complete Reference for Boatowners and Marine Professionals|Paperback

I have just added a used copy to my Amazon cart at $10.97 + $3.08 shipping.

-Will (Dragonfly)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Just thinking about this, it might be best placed in the “Special Interest” forum category.
Totally agree. It would get buried somewhere else. As a special topic someone can find it just looking through the subjects.

I'll have to look at the book to see if chapter by chapter makes sense or if some chapters can be merged into one thread, or some other format.

dj

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Once you guys have read Collier's book the next step is to have a full understanding of Marine AC & DC systems, grounding/bonding nuances and how they co-exist when floating in an electrolyte.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The "expert" that we would be listening to is the author. Who, if not in person, would be present by his book. If someone took the time to track him down, we might invite him to join us.

A separate forum area would be necessary, Perhaps Corrosion U?

Within the forum would be topics organized by chapter and one for general announcements, rules of the road, etc.

A Chapter forum would be open for comments for a limited amount of time, say 2 to 3 weeks and then closed, but still visible. This will help keep the topic focused and help avoid cross-contamination of the topic, with comments about chapter 3 showing up in the topic for chapter 1. Not that that would every happen, because internet fora always remain focused and on topic. ;)

Someone needs to serve as coordinator, to open and close topics (or remind Phil or Brian to do so).

We might ask @Dave Groshong about stocking some copies fo the book in the SBO store.

Early morning thoughts.

Jan 11, 2014
Once you guys have read Collier's book the next step is to have a full understanding of Marine AC & DC systems, grounding/bonding nuances and how they co-exist when floating in an electrolyte.
And this is the real issue that always gets muddled up. :confused:

If we learn this then we can pass the ABYC Marine Corrosion and Electrician's exam.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I don't see any issue with a "book club" type discussion. It might eventually morph into its own forum, but for now no reason not to engage is good reading/discussions. As it is right now there are several moderators engaged in this discussion so things should go smoothly.

Feb 6, 1998
This is a good article, and one that created a lot of controversy when it came out. Stan is a very bright guy, and a Stanford EE. If you have on-screen navigation in your car, you can thank Stan. If you watch football and appreciate first down lines, or even the America's Cupt Stan is the one responsible for creating those lines for TV sports. He also likely holds more world sailing records than anyone I know. I've worked with Stan on a few projects, including helping him design the LiFePO4 system for his own boat. There are a lot of good details in this post, lets see how many we can spot.

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Marine-Grounding-Systems

• Helpful
Feb 6, 1998
And this is the real issue that always gets muddled up. :confused:

If we learn this then we can pass the ABYC Marine Corrosion and Electrician's exam.
The point here is that marine corrosion and marine wiring/electrical go hand-in-hand. If you don't understand both, it is really very difficult to apply either in practical real world situations.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The point here is that marine corrosion and marine wiring/electrical go hand-in-hand
Thus goes the flow of free electrons. Strangely enough ....

Metals have a lot of free electrons.:pimp:

So...
Toss in a bit of Chemistry...

Jim...

PS: And a dash of Thermodynamics...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I don't see any issue with a "book club" type discussion. It might eventually morph into its own forum, but for now no reason not to engage is good reading/discussions. As it is right now there are several moderators engaged in this discussion so things should go smoothly.
I am placing my order for the book soon. It will be a few days to get it, I'm a slow reader, so a few more days to read enough to be useful. If someone already has the book's structure availible, we can start a new thread to get things rolling whenever you guys are ready.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Great. Looks like we are off on a book quest of study. Nice start Will.

now I need to go buy my book.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I believe my book will be at my house when I return from my business trip. But if not, it will arrive soon thereafter. So I'm thinking two to three weeks out would be reasonable to have some specific input from my side.

dj

Jan 11, 2014
Attached is a copy of the Table of Contents from Collier's book. It starts with the basics and works its way through various applications.

Attachments

• Helpful
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It looks like Collier starts with 3 pages on molecular theory, followed by 6 pages on chemical theory, then 7 pages on electrical theory. He then moves into corrosion processes. Without having read the chapters, I'm inclined to start our discussion on the first three chapters together.

Keep in mind, this is an open to the public forum for sailboat owners. In the interest in keeping it accessible to members who may not care about the scientific theories behind the methods they are looking for to keep their boats safe, I think it would be good to link a parallel thread together, with embedded links across threads, that deals with application, products and methods that members are having success or trouble with.

-Will (Dragonfly)