Electrical Wiring Using WAGO Terminal Blocks

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I am presently wiring four Hella fans to the cabin of my 2006 Beneteau. The fans only draw 0.5 amps each. I have basic electrical skills; however, I have never used the WAGO terminal block system. I plan to wire the fans into the terminal block and then onto the "cabin lights" circuit breaker or "spare" breaker. Has anyone done any accessory wiring using the WAGO blocks, who can explain how to do this? Thanks.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I am presently wiring four Hella fans to the cabin of my 2006 Beneteau. The fans only draw 0.5 amps each. I have basic electrical skills; however, I have never used the WAGO terminal block system. I plan to wire the fans into the terminal block and then onto the "cabin lights" circuit breaker or "spare" breaker. Has anyone done any accessory wiring using the WAGO blocks, who can explain how to do this? Thanks.
With manyof them you lift the lever, strip and insert the wire then press the lever back down. Hard to say without knowing which type you have.

Nov 24, 2012
The wiring schematic should show the breaker that corresponds to the wago block terminal. Note it will only accept one wire so it you have multiple wires you'll have to either splice them or connect them to terminal block first.

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
Here is a page out of my manual showing the wago connector. Maybe it helps.

Attachments

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Thanks Joker,
I have the WAGO wiring diagram for my boat; however, there were no instructions about how the block is wired. Your schematic with the explanation certainly helped. I will have to check to deteremine if there are any extra terminal blocks on the rail. Perhaps I can order more blocks or connectors from Beneteau if there were no extras included.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I have had fits trying to make use of the WAGOs. The LP gas solenoid wire fell out, and I could never get it back in, so bypassed the block for that, and other wiring jobs. I have the owners manual which supposedly shows how to use it, but it just never works. On my new B323, the dealer just wired the fans off the lighting circuit wires that was closest. Works okay that way.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Wago connectors work fine. All one needs is a narrow bladed screwdriver or something similar to push the tab beside the point where the wire is inserted. Hold down the tab, insert the wire, release, and done.... Reverse the process to disconnect. I have to agree that without a diagram, it's a bit unclear as to how they work. Even with a diagram, its a little fuzzy at first.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Ron,
Splicing the fans into the nearest lighting circuit appears to be a simple solution. If I find that the WAGO terminal is too difficult, I will use your suggestion. Thanks.

Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 361 Seattle
Splicing into reading lights works

We added these fans to both cabins in our 361. Spiced into the reading lights at each location and added an in-line fuse. No problems in the last couple years and the job was quick.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
I cringe every time I hear of someone "splicing" into an existing circuit. My visual image at worst is someone stripping back insulation in the middle of a wire and wrapping the end of the new wire around the existing wire. Second worst are those scotch lock connectors. It's a potentially dangerous way of doing it. Just my personal feeling ....

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Look at the bright side, Doug... maybe they used wire nuts :naughty:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I cringe every time I hear of someone "splicing" into an existing circuit. My visual image at worst is someone stripping back insulation in the middle of a wire and wrapping the end of the new wire around the existing wire. Second worst are those scotch lock connectors. It's a potentially dangerous way of doing it. Just my personal feeling ....
And it becomes wiring mystery. When I find that kind of work (because I hire an ABYC electrician in addition to a regular surveyor), it goes on the sale punch list and gets redone per code at sellers expense. Just saying.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME

You cringe.... Try being the guy who actually has to come in a fix these absurd practices....:D

This was just last week:

Note the melted/deformed black and blue wires near the wire nut from high resistance... In the background we had four 1GA wires bolted together and the nut was loose. But hey it was covered in electrical tape.;)

The small red wire entering the black tape was a bilge pump wire that was simply twisted around the mass of battery cable lugs, no terminal what so ever. This is a circuit that demands close to 550A every time the bow thruster was kicked on and over 800A when the motor was started.

The person who installed the battery bank fuse stacked the smallest loads on the bottom and the heaviest load on-top of FOUR smaller loads. It got so hot that the Class T fuse holder physically melted!!

On-top of all this welding cable was used and the jacket literally fell apart crumbling in the bilge. It was leaking DC current directly into the bilge water. A simple alternator upgrade turned into three days of re-wiring all the heavy battery cable because someone cut corners and did not use proper wiring techniques........$$$$$$$$

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I recently did a bunch of rewiring and new wiring on mine. First was tracing and labeling every wire out of the panel through the WAGO and on to its destination, a major endeavor as the schematics I have were only partially correct (now corrected). But, for the new circuits, I elected to add breakers and from those, I ran a short hot and ground to a terminal block that I mounted above the WAGO. From there I made my runs out to the new lights that I installed.With so many jumpers in the WAGO for common grounds and hots and a lousy schematic, I just bypassed the whole thing and avoided the issues. My 2 cents. Good luck.

Attachments

Last edited:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
The WAGO terminals are not that difficult. Parts are really not expensive and available on line through a number of national suppliers like Newark. I have seen them on Amazon as well. Google WAGO and you will find a YouTube Video explaining how they work. Individual terminal blocks can be added to the rail. Jumpers can be connected to adjacent blocks, etc. It's not rocket science once you actually understand the concept.

The comment about putting something like the added fans on their own breaker makes sense as well.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Doug,
I definitely agree with you. Would like to use the existing WAGO block to keep compliant. I have also found that one can purchase wago components off of Ebay inexpensively. Still working on this project pulling wires to panel. Will sort out circuits to & from Wago -- breakers next.
Thanks to all of you for helping with this installation!

Aug 28, 2013
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Kingston
I have a 1995 Beneteau Oceanis 351. Does anyone know the parts list for the WAGO blocks? I'd be happy to buy a few extras to figure this out, but trying to identify the specific parts has been troublesome.

reworb

Apr 22, 2011
Beneteau 311 Ft Myers Beach
Not to hijack the thread but I have a question about Wago Blocks.

I had a Catalina and now I have a Beneteau (got hit by lightning so I'm interested in wiring) The Catalina had each of it's "systems and equipment" wired directly to the appropriate circuit breaker on the electrical panel. The Beneteau has each "system and equipment" wired to the Wago and then each circuit in the Wago is wired to appropriate breaker on the panel .

I was wondering why the difference and the positives and negatives of each (excuse the pun).

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
What do you use to label your wires that sticks and where the printing will last?

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Numbered wire tapes are readily available from an electrical supply house.