Electrical issues

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter 35.5 tiki lagoon
Today I think I narrowed it down to two issues. The previous owner recently replaced 1 battery of 5 and put in a sealed battery instead of a maintenance battery. My dock neighbors all seem to agree that the older chargers prefer all the same type of battery. I think maybe the relatively new battery has stressed the battery charger and caused it to kick on more often than it is used to and caused it to burn up. Earlier I mentioned that it still had the problem even though I had turned the switch off but I think the battery charger was still somewhat powered for a few minutes. I monitored it today with the battery charger off and didn't have the power deficit issue at all until I turned the charger back on. New plan is switch to costco AGMs and look into a new charger. While I appreciate the safety concerns I personally have never had luck just purchasing a random book and expecting to have a solution to my unique problems. I would appreciate someone linking me to an actual book. Thanks for the help

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Your Charger has to be SET or PROGRAMMED for different type batteries. AGM, Wet Cell type, and Amp load.
Please read the Charger manual I linked above.

You can set your boat on fire!!!
Jim...

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter 35.5 tiki lagoon
I appreciate it. Am I reading this correctly though?? I will still need to have all the same type of battery? It does not appear to be able to charge different types.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Your Charger will accept these type batteries , but all must be that type.

1) AGM
2) GEL
3) Wet Cell or Lead Acid type [Flooded in the manual]

Jim...

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter 35.5 tiki lagoon
Yeah, thats my current issue I need to take care of first. The boat currently has two sets of 6v maintenance batteries in series tied together in parallel, with what looks to be tied to a sealed gel 12v. The new owner mentioned he replaced a battery and I think he was unaware of this battery charger situation.

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter 35.5 tiki lagoon
Yeah, thats my current issue I need to take care of first. The boat currently has two sets of 6v maintenance batteries in series tied together in parallel, with what looks to be tied to a sealed gel 12v. The new owner mentioned he replaced a battery and I think he was unaware of this battery charger situation.
Sorry previous owner

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter 35.5 tiki lagoon
Million dollar question now is since the charger didn't start acting up until after 6 weeks, is it toast or if I swap out the 12v gel with a maintenance battery will it starting functioning normally again. Or should I just get a couple new agms and a new charger.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
6v maintenance batteries
That is what is normally called...
House Batteries

Million dollar question [ maybe more like $500]
I can't answer that. Sorry. But your charger has bad reviews on Amazon and is not available anymore.

There are many posts about Deep Cycle batteries on this site and how to maintain them for longevity.
Take care and sleep safely...
Jim...

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter 35.5 tiki lagoon
Thanks. Learn something new everyday. But yeah I'm thinking new batteries and charger. Maybe sell off the 6v s to my buddy with an electric golf cart.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Interesting. Ok so I just need to find the dead/dieing battery? Because I am quickly running out of ideas. However, I am still confused on how my 12v system is affecting the 110v system especially since I don't have an inverter.
Not so much about which battery if they are together... If one is bad it will suck the life (equalization) out of the other...
Any idea how old the batteries are? Maybe isolate them and use a load tester..

• Helpful