Electrical issues

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter 35.5 tiki lagoon
I recently acquired a Hunter 35.5 and have been living on it for a little over a month now. This past week I noticed that intermittently my oscilating fan plugged into 110v outlet would almost cut out. I thought it might be because I had to much power draw with my desktop computer and other nick nacks, but after reseting the breaker I also noticed that another new mysterious noise from behind the aft cabin kicked on, which I am now assuming is some sort of electrical fan to cool something related to electrical? I also noticed when the 110v oscilating fan would dim I could here like a crackling from behind the aft cabin before I reset the breaker. Can anyone explain this phenomenon and tell me what is behind the aft bedroom as I don't see anything in the owners manual and all I could see from below the battery location trap door was some sort of digital battery tender/inverter maybe?

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
If you're on shore power you may have some sort of battery conditioner wired in. Those units traditionally have a cooling fan. Check your panel for a switch labeled CHARGER or something along those lines. Next time you hear that sound. throw that switch/breaker for the CHARGER and see if that doesn't stop the noise.

NOW, on a related topic. Since you are living aboard, can all of us in this group rest easy in the knowledge that you have WORKING smoke and CO detectors?

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter 35.5 tiki lagoon
I didn't really think about checking smoke/co alarm but I will do that tomorrow. So if it does stop the noise what does that mean? Bad battery? Bad converter? Bad cooling fan for converter or inverter?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The smoke and CO detectors are a life saving must, regardless of where the noise is coming from. That was sailme88's point.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
but after reseting the breaker
What breaker did you reset?

Were you on shore power?

Do you have an Inverter/Charger on board and what is the model?

Many 120 VAC outlets have a reset button on them, especially near sinks and lavatories.
Jim...

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter 35.5 tiki lagoon
Yeah I have been on shore power the whole time l when having this issue. The only thing I can tell is when what I believe the converter trying to kick on its fan to cool down I get like a power deficit on all 110v outlets. Even if just like a single fan is plugged in. I would say now its more of a clicking not a crackling. So far I have been hitting the reset button by where the shore power plugs in the back and that works for a few hours and then it kind of starts doing it again. I will get you a model number of the black box that I can see below the starboard batteries in a bit, however I feel like there must be another device somewhere because I don't see any fans that I think would create the noise I am hearing... as I wrote this I just had another power "deficit" without the fans trying to turn on.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I have been on shore power the whole time l when having this issue
Ok, your Inverter/Charger [IC] should "pass through" provide shore power to the 120 VAC outlets.

If you unplug shore power, the 120 VAC is inverted from your House Batteries.

Your IC has a cooling fan, but it normally does not run unless your AMP load is high or exceeding its capacity.

Try leaving the access to your IC open to allow the cooling fan more fresh air.
____
The breaker for shore power may also be weak, it must be within 10" of the shore power plug in.
Jim...

PS: I will check back to this post from time to time.:biggrin:

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter 35.5 tiki lagoon
Well I thought my issue may be high amp load but even when I turn everything off but a simple oscilating fan running I still noticed the issue. I will check the breaker. Could the inverter/converter just be going bad?

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I just re-read your first post. I am now thinking that the issue may me an under volt. Many shore power transmission lines are load calculated and thus use the smallest sized cables that they can get away with. So, think of this as a brown out...

Start checking with your neighbors to see if they too are experiencing electrical issues. The breaker pop COULD be a local surge. IF your neighbors are having similar issues you'll need to address this with the marina operator and put yourself on a power conservation plan.

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter 35.5 tiki lagoon
I messaged the harbor Master this morning. No else has reported issues. I was also thinking along the same lines. Could it could be a bad/old shore power line?

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter 35.5 tiki lagoon
Also I have a Pro Tech 1240i plus battery charger Not sure if that is capable of produce my issue and or the fan humming and clicking i am experiencing. I'm not sure if I even have an inverter, because I'm pretty none of my 110v outlets work without ac plug . I'm going to unscrew a rear hatch from the aft cabjn and look here in a second if I can find another device.

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter 35.5 tiki lagoon
So using neighbors shore cable and battery charger on switch panel turned off, I am still experiencing power deficits. I was hover able to confirm the humming to be coming from the pro tech charger.

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter 35.5 tiki lagoon
I could but now I'm not convinced that the charger is m the problem since with the battery charger off I am still experiencing the issue.

Aug 6, 2020
Hunter 35.5 tiki lagoon
Interesting. Ok so I just need to find the dead/dieing battery? Because I am quickly running out of ideas. However, I am still confused on how my 12v system is affecting the 110v system especially since I don't have an inverter.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Your charger takes in 120VAC and then charges the 12VDC house batteries.
Not normally charging the engine start battery.

So you would may have to check the Charger AC incoming line.
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Ok so I just need to find the dead/dieing battery?
You should download that manual for the Installation and Trouble shooting guide.
Also how the 120 VAC is connected to the Charger.
Jim...

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
WADR, having lived on your boat for this long, it appears you may avail yourself of a boat electrical book, and figure out what you have and how it works. We all did this on our own boats. At one time or another. Sorry for the tough love, fella, but you have major SAFETY issues that you need to address. And only YOU know what you have on your boat.