Electric winch wired to 400 ah lithium bank

Sep 11, 2019
Catalina 40 mk ii Maui
I just purchased, well the check is on the way from the lender, a Catalina 400 mkii. The owner added an electric winch mostly for the main halyard but didn’t wire it up. He has the selenoid and switch I believe in the store room. I’m wondering if I need two gauge or one gauge. The distance from the winch to the bank is about six feet. The winch is under the dodger star side. Maybe just need some insight to get me started in the right direction on this project. I’m also wanting to buy my own crimpers so I can make my own cables till I die. Mahalo

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Congratulations.

When wiring DC you have to consider the round trip distance, so if the winch is 6 feet from the battery bank, the round trip distance is 12 feet.

Check the winch installation manual there should be guidance on how much power the winch draws and fusing. With that information the proper cable size can be determined. And don't forget to properly fuse the cable.

Sep 11, 2019
Catalina 40 mk ii Maui
Congratulations.

When wiring DC you have to consider the round trip distance, so if the winch is 6 feet from the battery bank, the round trip distance is 12 feet.

Check the winch installation manual there should be guidance on how much power the winch draws and fusing. With that information the proper cable size can be determined. And don't forget to properly fuse the cable.
Thanks. I didn’t find the owners manual with the other manuals. I should have the boat on Maui soonnfrom oahu. Hopefully I can get the specs one way the other.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Thanks. I didn’t find the owners manual with the other manuals. I should have the boat on Maui soonnfrom oahu. Hopefully I can get the specs one way the other.
Check online for the manual. I'm assuming it is a Lewmar or Harken. Either company can give you the information you need.