electric winch handle

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
We charted a catamaran last summer. The lines ran to the cockpit and used powered winches to raise and lower the sails. The lines all ran through clutches. The lines scared me as they showed extreme wear from miss use on the winches. It was not my boat but still I had to use it for 9 days and did not want to spoil our vacation. When we turned the boat in we cautioned the operator about the lines. My suspicion is they ignored our concern and rented the boat out to the next unsuspecting person.

Most of the problem stemmed from failing sheaves in the mast. Lines that did not have fair leads at the turns so they dragged on the edges of the sheaves. Lines that were pulled through improper sized clutches that did not have fair leads to the winches. The result were lines that were near failing.

Nov 21, 2019
Catalina C30 4200 Muskegon, Michigan
We charted a catamaran last summer. The lines ran to the cockpit and used powered winches to raise and lower the sails. The lines all ran through clutches. The lines scared me as they showed extreme wear from miss use on the winches. It was not my boat but still I had to use it for 9 days and did not want to spoil our vacation. When we turned the boat in we cautioned the operator about the lines. My suspicion is they ignored our concern and rented the boat out to the next unsuspecting person.

Most of the problem stemmed from failing sheaves in the mast. Lines that did not have fair leads at the turns so they dragged on the edges of the sheaves. Lines that were pulled through improper sized clutches that did not have fair leads to the winches. The result were lines that were near failing.

Nov 21, 2019
I dont use clutches. I have self tailing winches and use a near by clear.
I looked into the sail kote and I plan to use this all pulleys blocks and sail fittings. the sheaves are a little worn but they are in line with no rubs, I am going to change them out any way, on my list of have toos for next season. im looking forward to see how this goes.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I hope they help. Yes I like Saikote. At my usual chandlery it is often sold out in the spray.

Let me know your thoughts.

When it comes to metal lubricant, I like to use Corrosion Block. Just another one of those idea sharing thoughts. Not for sails (will stain).

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Who pays that kind of money for such a simple drill motor adaptor :yikes: . are they gold plated platinum or what? 10 minutes with a lathe or buy a Universal brand weedwhacker head arbor bolt and file/grind/sand 1MM off the 4 flats (19MM needs to be 17 across the flats). $8.00 new at a greedy lawn/garden supply dealer or .50 from the same dealers scrap pile.
ARBOR BOLT 10MMX1.25MM LHF HUSQVARNA
HOW ABOUT THIS: An old winch handle ( broken handle is better) band saw off the 8 pt. Take an old Allen wrench ( 1/4)" and cut off an inch. weld the Allen to the 8 pt. Insert the Allen into the chuck of a battery powered 90 degree drill.... viola..

Nov 21, 2019
I hope they help. Yes I like Saikote. At my usual chandlery it is often sold out in the spray.

Let me know your thoughts.

When it comes to metal lubricant, I like to use Corrosion Block. Just another one of those idea sharing thoughts. Not for sails (will stain).
I'll note that also since mast blocks are metal.
thanks.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have a Milwaukee 90 degree cordless drill and a Cranker bit. Works like a charm raising my mainsail.

my wife originally bought it to get me up the mast, but my single speed #12 winch is too small And drill Otto is not strong enough To raise my 212 pound butt.
going to ru n the halyard to a primary 2-speed winch next and try that.

but for raising the sail, the Milwaukee drill works great and it is fast.

Greg

Nov 21, 2019
that is the exact combo of drill and bit I'm considering.
what size boat do you have

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I think if I was in your position and intended to keep the boat for some time, I'd just bite the bullet and install an electric winch. Then you have the correct waterproof tool for hoisting the main, taking someone aloft, pulling the boat alongside a dock in a heavy current or a dozen other jobs an electric winch can perform.
No worrying about having charged batteries for your winch handle/drill, using it in the rain or when there's a lot of spray, or having it fail when you need it most.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I must confess. I am an old school kind of sailor. I have always done my sail management at the mast. There are lots of opinions and rational about safety and convenience with having the lines run to the cockpit. One thing not questioned, turning the halyards and running them to the cockpit and through clutches will add friction to the lines, making them more difficult to pull....
Yeah, this.

My last boat (cruising cat) had a reasonably heavy full batten main, but since I could just hang from the halyard by the mast, the main went up just as easily as it does on my F-24, with a main less than 1/2 the weight. Unless there is something wrong with the slugs, a sail is pretty easy to hoist at the mast until it weighs nearly as much as you do.

I like working at the mast. Weird, I guess.

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
A few years ago, I bought the Original Cranker and a Milwaukee right-angle drill. After a few uses, the bit fell out of the chuck, and bounced overboard :banghead:So next, I bought the Ultimate version, which replaces the chuck and won’t fall out.
As far as results, it’s mixed. It‘s heavy, and without self-tailers or crew to do the tailing, it’s awkward. We have shore power, so keeping the battery charged isn’t a problem.
If I give up on it, at least I have a great drill!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Sailing on a friend's C-34 I liked the electric winches, especially for the 150. Better technique for tacking would make them less necessary. Nevertheless, when the technique wasn't there and I had to crank in the 150 full of wind, it was really nice. But I'm in the school of low friction and handling halyards at the mast. And of fractional rigs. On most boats I sail on, the cockpit tails the halyard the ties it off after the sail is raised. It's just so much easier. And I'm way more safe at the mast than anywhere else on the boat.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Dave, we have the WinchRite and are pretty happy with it. It is bidirectional, so it can be used with a 2-speed winch. The company stands behind them. We sent it back and they replaced the motor. We’ve had it for about 10 years, I think. We don’t use it excessively, but it works well when we use it. We keep it plugged in with the 12 volt charger so it is ready to go.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
My halyard is at the mast, and I didn't think I'd like it but I do... So I agree with jssailem. When I first got my boat it was lots of work to get the main up. Some McLube sailcoat fixed that pronto. Try McLube first.

I've got the standard rig, so just a little less sail, but I can easily get the sail almost all the way up by just pulling on the halyard by hand. Don't need to 'jump' it or put any crazy force into it. Then a few cranks on a winch to finish it and tension it. I do not have a topping lift, so it takes quite a bit more force to "pick up" the boom from where it rests on the solid vang.

SkipR

Oct 13, 2014
Beneteau First 22 and Oceanis 38 San Francisco Bay
I recommend buying the Milwaukee M28 28V drill with right angle attachment ($460 from Amazon) and the Winchbit ($50) from winchbit.com. I have used this combination to raise the main on my Beneteau 311 and also to raise the 600# swing keel on my Beneteau First 22. It has worked beautifully for both boats. A single charge lasts the whole summer. It has plenty of power for either job. Not only is it better than the Winchrite, it costs much less.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
After researching, I must concur. Harkin offers a bit "similar" to Winch Bit's. There are also other knock offs floating around ( pun intended). But the Harkin is aluminum where the Winch Bit is stainless steel. My fear would be rounding off the 8 points of the aluminum and or torquing the shaft. $50 vs mid $20's.....

on the extreme .. eWincher....over $2500.00

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I bought the original wincher bit (that goes in the chuck), but later upgraded to the wincher pro, that replaces the chuck. I found that more secure. i had to operate the drill in reverse, and it unscrewed the chuck. I broke a screw that holds the chuck in place. This was while trying to raise my 212 pounds up the mast. I had no issues raising the main sail on the same winch.

Greg