Electric problem for new Hunter owner

May 8, 2016
Hunter 36 Catawba Island, Ohio
Just bought a 2006 Hunter 36 and I feel so stupid. It's been sitting on the hard since I bought it in October and we're now ready to launch. Connected a new starting battery and can't get any power to the DC panel. The switch in the port locker is "on" and the DC Main Breaker under the chart table is "on", but no power. I feel like I must be missing something simple. Any suggestions?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Hard to give any advice without knowing how your batteries are set up...but...

You say a new starter battery....are you getting power to the engine control panel? Anything happen when you turn the ignition key to On (alarm goes off)?

Greg

May 8, 2016
I haven't tried turning the key yet. I was concerned that no power was registering on the DC panel. No power to the instruments, VHF, lights, nothing.

Jan 7, 2011
If the starting battery is JUST for starting, the DC panel may not even be involved. Like I said, hard to tell without a diagram, or more information about the battery set up.
Turning on the key would at least tell you if you have some power to the engine.

Do you have any house batteries hooked up?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
The 1/2 both switch under chart table and try different
positions on it.
My 2007 H -36 most likely different but can you give more info
your battery setup.
I had 2 4D batteries in the large port cockpit locker and no start battery,but have changed to 4- 6 volt and one start battery.
Nick

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Electric problems can be very humbling, usually something simple once you find the cause. You don't mention your house battery. Move the starting battery to that position and see what happens. Or get a simple test light or a basic vom test meter, clamp the negative lead to the negative battery terminal and prob back to the switch. Is there a missing fuse? The switch could be bad or just connected wrongly. Hopefully you can find someone locally to get you started in the right direction. Good luck.

May 8, 2016
I've tried every position possible with the switch under the chart table. This boat has the inverter installed. Is there a main breaker reset for the DC panel?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
In the time it took to write this post, you could have traced the wires from the banks to the switches and figured it out.

Here are some guidelines as to how things may be wired. Good luck.

Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams This is a very good basic primer for boat system wiring: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6604.0.html

This is another very good basic primer for boat system wiring: The 1-2-B Switch by Maine Sail (brings together a lot of what this subject is all about)
http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=137615

May 8, 2016
Thanks for the help. The boat is 3 hours from my house and I didn't bring my tester with me. I'll know better next time!

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Well you always forget more base on how far you have to go to get to the boat
Welcome to the club!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
You don't say how your house and start battery system is setup,I have a inverter charger
also and have 2 circuit breakers on the bottom of the 1/2-both switch that is to change between my 2-4D's and each breaker turns on witch house battery to use.
Do you have these breakers because either will shut down each battery from the house
but my system did not come from the factory with a start battery just the 2 house batteries
and they were wired to start the engine.
Maybe like me I changed things up to add a start batter,do you have a manual and if so check the battery page.
Nick

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I just looked at my manual and with or with out inverter/charger it shows 2 battery system
and so like me changed things by adding a start battery.
Check for the breakers on the 1/2-both panel and those breakers will control power to the main DC panel and depending how the start battery is wired you should have have power to the key even if no power to main panel.
Nick

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
If both batts are on the same 1/2/both switch, and you only have 1 battery installed, ground the single batt to both batt ground cables.

Dec 5, 2015
Oday 272LE Louisville, KY
I recently had a dead DC panel on my new to me Oday. I replaced the old panel with a new Blue Sea Panel but the actual problem turned out to be a defective main ground. The DC panel positive feed had an inline fuse which turned out to be good. Try running a temporary ground from your negative battery post to your ground bar on your DC panel to see if it powers up.

Jan 7, 2011
If both batts are on the same 1/2/both switch, and you only have 1 battery installed, ground the single batt to both batt ground cables.
Good point. I once hooked up 1 of my 2 batteries, and grabbed the "jumper" ground cable by mistake (which was not connected to anything on the other end). Took me a few minutes to,realize why I had no power.

Greg

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I think once you check those breakers on the 1/2/both that they are not flipped on or loose connection on battery post,I changed from 1 and 2 house bank to 1 large house bank with the alternator going to the house bank
and start battery to the Yanmar and Gen with off/on switch for start battery in where the house bank was in the port side cockpit compartment.
Nick

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Good point. I once hooked up 1 of my 2 batteries, and grabbed the "jumper" ground cable by mistake (which was not connected to anything on the other end). Took me a few minutes to,realize why I had no power.

Greg
Yep. Some boats have 2 separate ground cables; one to the engine/panel, other to the DC panel. You'll need the ground jumper in this setup with 2 batts installed.
It may be that, with only one batt installed, regardless of battery selection the DC panel may not be grounded. He needs to attach both ground cables to the batt - ignore the jumper if there is one. Then when 2nd batt is installed, revert to normal connections.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2007
Hunter 38 Owen Sound, Ontario
Hi
Our 2005, 38 has a breaker between the 1,2 both rotary switches for the DC panel that needs to be on to get power to the panel and then on elsewhere. I downloaded the panel diagram for the 2005 36 and it shows breakers below the big rotary knobs on each panel. Have you tried these?

Attachments

May 8, 2016
Yes, I have tried the breakers to no avail. The best hypothesis I heard so far is the lack of a ground to complete the circuit. On my next trip to the boat, I'll be certain to have my tester with me!