Electric Head conversion

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
My head is spinning on this and I'm trying to make it spin even more.... :rolleyes:

Existing set-up, Jabsco Household bowl, manual pump connected to lake water for flushing, Great Lakes so is "fresh water".
Also have washdown pump connected to thru-hull after I took out macerator, boat is in Great Lakes and we will never be in water that waste can be pumped overboard.

I am looking to convert to electric head. Was thinking I could re-use the household bowl and install the Jabsco Quiet Flush kit. I could tee off the washdown pump, it's located in the bildge just outside head and beside all the thru-hulls. This would leave the existing head intake redundant and I would have to cap off. Oher option would be to get the Quiet flush kit with the pump and reuse the head intake thru-hull and leave washdown intact.

I know you prefer Raritan but is very difficult to source up here. I don't see any conversion kits and the Marine Elegance is $2,000 with long lead time vs. the QF on Amazon with the pump for just under $ 1,000 and 2 day delivery.

Thoughts?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Defender in the US has the Raritan SeaEra (seawater version)with household size bowl, seat and lid for U$609 and is offering free shipping (to a US address) on orders $100+ . https://defender.com/en_us/raritan-seaera-household-toilet
Raritan SeaEra Promo Sheet The prices I've seen for a "conversion" are a lot higher...I have no idea why!

Apart from the quality, you won't need a remote intake pump...a diaphragm intake pump is installed in the end of the pump/motor assembly.

I think you've participated in at least one of the threads in which I recommend to our Canadian members who live close enough to the border that they get a US shipping address. There are stores similar to "mailboxes etc" in most cities and towns who'll rent you a shipping and/or mailing address for a very reasonable price and will even sign for them if necessary.

Whether that's practical from Georgian Bay prob'y depends how easy it is to get to Toronto and and across the lake and whether, allowing the rate of exchange (I haven't checked it today) you'd save enough to be worth the aggravation. I DO know that you'd save those outrageous "international shipping charges and customs fees that are a large part of what drives up Canadian retailers' prices and you'd get it in a few days instead of weeks. Do you know anyone who comes over often on business?

Bottom line, I know you'd love the SeaEra but unless you can figure out a way to have it shipped domestically and arrange to pick it up you may just have to settle for the Jabsco...

--Peggie

Sep 20, 2006
The Sea Era listed at one of the CDN suppliers is marine size bowl at $ 1,285.00 plus shipping.

We live 1 hour NW of Toronto & 2 hours to Buffalo, US Exchange is 37%, which would make a full day trip and not worth the $$ and a toilet is a little big to ask friends we have to bring with them on their next trip up here.

Thanks, thought I'd try anyways to see if you had any other solutions.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The Sea Era listed at one of the CDN suppliers is marine size bowl at $ 1,285.00 plus shipping.

We live 1 hour NW of Toronto & 2 hours to Buffalo, US Exchange is 37%, which would make a full day trip and not worth the $$ and a toilet is a little big to ask friends we have to bring with them on their next trip up here.

You could have the toilet shipped to the West Marine in Buffalo or perhaps Obersheimer's (sp) in Buffalo would be able to order it. Saving a few hundred dollars on the exchange would make it worthwhile.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC

Just in time for you Scott
Try this Canadian website $910.50 Canadian dollars free shipping.
Raritan SeaEra Toilet

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2006
Just in time for you Scott
Try this Canadian website $910.50 Canadian dollars free shipping.
Raritan SeaEra Toilet

Oh wow, did they open a warehouse up here or how are they handling

That is going to hurt a few places up here.

Marineoutfitters Kingston is $ 1,285 for the smaller bowl.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Oh wow, did they open a warehouse up here or how are they handling
I received an email this morning that goes something like this:

Your Canadian destination for everything boating.
Explore our new harbor harbour at defender.ca.​

Why Defender Canada?​

Ships from Canada​
No duties, customs or surprising fees​

Canadian dollars​
No Currency Conversion Needed!​

Same Experts, New Country​
Still us, still here to help—every step of the way!​

Sep 20, 2006
Actually, just noticed I got the same email.
I bought the Raritan hose from them couple years back and a friend brought up when he came to visit.

But, thanks for the heads up, that's great to see.

Jan 11, 2014
So, Defender is now shipping from Canada. Makes sense because it is owned by a Canadian company. Watch out Binnacle.com they're coming for you!

Sep 20, 2006
So, Defender is now shipping from Canada. Makes sense because it is owned by a Canadian company. Watch out Binnacle.com they're coming for you!
Who bought them. It will hurt several up here with that kind of pricing.

Jan 11, 2014
You may be able to mount your existing standard sized bowl on a new pump. I replaced the marine bowl on my Raritan PHII with a standard house sized bowl, check the bolt pattern.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I'd forgotten that Defender was bought by Canadians a year or so ago...can't remember whether it's a company or a group of investors. That they've opened a warehouse in Canada is great news for Canadian boat owners! If one of you will supply me with the URL for it, I'll add it to my bookmarks.

As for a lower price for the household bowl...a year ago it was the only size I could find without a lot of searching that Defender offered on their website 'cuz it's the most popular size.

--Peggie

Sep 20, 2006
Found this via Google

On February 17, 2022, FortNine announced in partnership with Novacap the acquisition of Defender Industries Inc. ("Defender").
Based in Waterford, Connecticut, Defender is a family-owned company, with a mission to make boating accessible to more people and disrupt the marine supply industry. Defender is an authorized dealer for 85,000 products from every major marine manufacturer. Defender has grown to become the largest independent marine supply firm in the US.
FortNine is Canada's leading e-commerce platform for motorbikes, dirt bikes, ATVs, snowmobiles and other powersports equipment, accessories, and parts,
Founded in 1981, Novacap is a leading North American private equity firm with over C$8 billion of AUM that has invested in more than 100 platform companies and completed more than 150 add-on acquisitions. Novacap has offices in Brossard, Québec and Toronto, Ontario.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You may be able to mount your existing standard sized bowl on a new pump. I replaced the marine bowl on my Raritan PHII with a standard house sized bowl, check the bolt pattern.
As I posted earlier, the prices for the Raritan SeaEra "conversion" are a lot higher than the complete toilet and very hard to find. The only "conversion" I found on Defender was actually just a replacement pump motor assembly without a cover.

As for bowl mounting...all 4 bolt mounting bolt patterns and sizes are the same for every brand. I recommend using the new bolts that come with a new toilet because there can be just enough tolerance difference between the new and the old to give you a slightly wobbly bowl.

--Peggie

Sep 20, 2006
@Peggie Hall HeadMistress how does the SeaEra flush. I have 14 ft. of waste hose to the tank. Do you keep holding the button until it gets to the tank, and does this keep adding water to the flush? Or does it add water to flush then pumps out to tank

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
With the exception of the high end "thrones" like the Marine Elegance, about 6' is as far as any marine toilet, manual or electric, can move bowl contents without a lot of help from gravity, so unless it's a downhill run from your toilet to your tank (highly unlikely on sailboat), it'll be necessary to modify your toilet discharge line to let it provide that help 'cuz your existing toilet isn't getting it there in a single flush now. Don't panic...it's an easy fix:

Create a loop in the discharge line immediately after the toilet (aim your toilet discharge fitting straight up) that's at least a few inches higher than the top of the tank...any marine toilet can lift bowl contents up to 4', which should be a lot more than should be needed. You'll only need to flush long enough to push bowl contents over the top of the loop...gravity will get it the rest of the way.

Unlike your manual toilet, the single flush button that will be supplied with your new electric toilet doesn't offer "dry" flush, so I suggest you replace it with a 3 option flush "panel"...Raritan's only works with pressurized fresh water but Jabsco makes one that can be used with sea water toilets. That will allow you to bring water into the bowl ahead of use--which you should always do ahead of solids for a much cleaner bowl with less flushing--and requires a joker valve in excellent condition to keep it in the bowl long enough to make it worth the effort, dry flush, which conserves holding tank capacity, and the same full flush that the single button provides.

Peggie