Edson Pedestal Upgrade?

Nov 5, 2013
Newport 33 Channel Islands
Happy New Year All!!
I have a 1983 Newport 33 with an odd style Edson pedestal. Odd being the controls are on port and starboard but they move up and down. Ive attached a picture of a similar boat with the same pedestal. I'd like to change the throttle and clutch to the standard chrome handles on port and starboard that move for and aft. (see pictures) Does anyone have any idea if this will work or what kind of can of worms Im opening? Thank you! -Jeff
Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 8.37.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 8.45.35 PM.png

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
First, check the engine manual to see if there is any reason the change can't be done. Some engines, like the Yanmar 3jh2e can not use the separate controls because there is not enough leverage. Next check to see if the top of the pedestal comes apart. Aluminum, SS bolts, and saltwater often make this difficult to impossible.

If the change is possible, then longer cables will be needed and new holes may be necessary cockpit sole for the cables. And then there are the 2 holes in the cockpit sole that will need repairing.

That's a lot of work and expense for not much gain.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Also check if your transmission and motor throttle connections are oriented the same way the levers are labeled. You may want to look at a single lever dual function assembly instead. Lewmar makes one that attaches to the side of the pedestal guard tube and it may adapt to your pedestal.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I would call Edson an ask them directly. Their customer assistance has a great reputation. Aside from giving you the answer, they also may know what they have in the "attic" that might not be in the catalog.

My initial reaction is

Nov 5, 2013
Awesome! All good things to consider. I reached out to Edson late Friday, just before I posted this. I was anticipating replacing both throttle and clutch cables because Im pretty sure they are 35 years old!! I already have a used throttle/clutch assembly but have not tried taking the old one off. I will spray PB Blaster on the bolts this weekend. Also, I'm going to be replacing the wire/chain steering around the same time.
More info from my boat: The engine is a Universal with a Hurth transmission. I'll keep updates/photos coming. The reason Im doing this change is for other skippers operating the boat will know without a doubt what is forward/reverse and fast/slow.
Anyone else has any info for me to consider, I'd be more than grateful. Thank you All!!!

Jan 11, 2014
Also, I'm going to be replacing the wire/chain steering around the same time.
While you're at it, get the pedestal rebuild kit from Edson and replace the parts.

When it comes to the steering cables, it is much cheaper to build your own. For the cost of one cable, you can buy all the wire, fittings, and swaging tool to make 2 cables and you have the swaging tool in your toolbox.

Nov 5, 2013
Thanks Dave, I often do "build my own" and stash the tools in my toolbox. With something like this I have no idea what Im getting into. Maybe it will make more sense when I get it apart. Do you happen to have a shopping list I can view or a link to someone who has dont this? As far as the rebuild kit, YES! Thank you again!

Jan 11, 2014
Once you dive into the steering cable rebuild, it is pretty obvious. The cable has an eye swaged into one end that is connected to the chain. The other end is run through an eyebolt on the steering quadrant and secured with 2 or 3 bulldog clamps. The swaged end is covered with some heat shrink to protect the coupling to the chain and to make it harder for things to snag on the swage. See the photos. If the chain is in good shape, it can be reused, if not, measure it and buy some new chain from McMaster Carr.

You can get the wire specs from the Edson site, the swage tool from Amazon, Defender, or elsewhere.

While you have things apart, replace the pads on the wheel brake. You can buy the whole unit from Edson or you can buy some brake lining from McMaster-Carr or an auto parts store and make your own. I used Gorilla glue to secure the pads to the clamps. The only tricky part was getting the pads to conform to the curve. My solution is in the photo. After the glue cures, trim the pads with a band saw. I used steering wheel axle as a mold for the brake pads. It was covered in tape to prevent any squeeze out from getting on the axle.

IMG_0936.jpegIMG_0924.jpeg

• Helpful
Nov 5, 2013
Thank you Dave, Yes, looks pretty strait forward. I appreciate the photos and links!

Nov 5, 2013
So I spoke to Ken at Edson, the upgrade to control head is possible but the controls will be backwards. I’m thinking I can rotate or flip the control head to correct that. If I can’t I’ll need to make two bell cranks to reverse the throw.