Early prop shaft packing gland info PLEASE

Apr 18, 2009
Newport MKIi 30' Channel Is. CA
Hello, I am hauling my early 27' (Hull #15) out for bottom paint and figured its a good time to replace my stuffing box. To my surprise the shaft is 3/4". I expected an inch. What I am asking, doe anyone know the log size? I am hoping to have all the parts on site when I haul it out. The threads that show on the fitting of the packing gland are 1 1/8 " OD but there is a hex fitting, an I assume its the same as the hose id. But until I take it apart its hard to say.
Anybody want to help me?
Also what do you think of the dripless shaft seals

Thanks Buzz
"The Vital Spark"

Attachments

Apr 18, 2009
Newport MKIi 30' Channel Is. CA
Hey Stu. Lots of valuable ifno here. I was hoping to replace the whole unit. but in looking at the flange in the photo, I see a lot of deterioration and am thinking clean up and repack is the way to go.

Super helpful, Thank You

Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
image-3118638447.jpg

I went with a dripless system after my stuffing box disintegrated when it was being opened to replace the stuffing. The dripless system has worked great.

TLW

Jan 15, 2013
Oday 31 Whitehall, MI
I went to dripless last year, also. Seems great so far. I also replaced shaft & coupling (flange) since it was all apart, and I could avoid doing it again later. Mine looked much better than what I see in your photo. You may want to have a line on a new shaft so you can obtain it quickly, if needed. I can't imagine that your shaft would be reusable (certainly not the flange) given age and apparent condition.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
PSS is a great solution, if you go that way, get the retention collar, and do the cutlass bearing too.

Attachments

Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
PSS is a great solution, if you go that way, get the retention collar, and do the cutlass bearing too.
I agree with the retention collar. I have since put one on mine after snapshot I posted previously was taken.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Say guys, I don't know much about PSS shaft seals but am interested in them, as a dryer bilge is tempting. What is the hose mounted to the side of the seal for, Cooling water?

Aug 1, 2011
The hose is a breather tube. The facing between the carbon and the stainless uses water as a medium, and the hose prevents an air bubble from getting in the way. The hose is run up above the water line and just left open. I put a brass fitting into it, and the end is hose clamped to a fixture so it's solid.

Ryhno

Jul 11, 2014
Catalina 1974 Fort Lauderdale
Hi guys.

I'm facing the exact issue with my 27 (1973). I was looking for the right solution (as I didn't want to try replace the packing in the water afraid of it falling to pieces). I am being pulled out the water next month. Seeing as though you guys have found the answer is there any chance you could supply me with part numbers to your dripless accessory???

Aug 1, 2011
Yuk. That shaft is pretty ugly. You might want to consider a new shaft and coupler, cutlass bearing and if you're going down the PSS road, get the retention collar too. That's cheap insurance. I got the shaft and coupler from CD, but in hindsight, I would have got one of the "split coupler" things instead. It just makes changing the bellows, in 5-6 years so much easier.

Attachments

Ryhno

Jul 11, 2014
Catalina 1974 Fort Lauderdale
Thanks for the response. One of the problems that I'm facing is that there is no visible shaft between my packing gland and the coupling (it's a mess there). But am definitely going to be replacing the coupling due to corrosion, and install a dripless pss system. As I am still in the water it's still tricky business. So relying on my auto bilge pump to flush water out once every two days... Thanks for all the help and suggestions has been very much appreciated