Dyneema lifelines

Jun 17, 2017
Com-Pac Eclipse Pensacola, FL
I want to replace the lifelines on my C22. However, Catalina Direct currently has a moratorium on vinyl covered lifelines. You can buy the uncovered, which I don’t want. I got to thinking about using Dyneema rope as it is nearly as strong as steel, has very low stretch, low weight and supposedly easy to splice. Just wondering if anyone has done this or knows someone who has.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You can also buy the slit plastic covering to put over the bare wire. Mostly used on shrouds to protect sails.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
+1 @Richard19068 - search this site for Dyneema lifelines

May I ask what you have against bare (non-vinyl lifelines). Considering you're in salt water too, it would natural to be concerned with the state of your lines under that plastic. I have the original vinyl ones on my 20-yr old boat, and am careful about leaning against them. In areas where you plan to lean (cockpit or hiking out), you can buy some canvas covered line cushions which are very back-friendly. Standard disclaimer with Dyneema lifelines - watch the stanchion holes for chafe areas. While Dyneema has incredible tensile strength, it sucks on abrasion resistance.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Dyneema works great for lifelines. It is strong, but does deteriorate quicker than bare stainless steel lifelines.

It will take some care installing them. You will need to clean up all metal parts used with dyneema. Stanchions can have edges that contribute to chafe. Chafe weakens your dyneema.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Does lighter colored Dyneema look dirty after a while? Steel is virtually maintenance free in that regard

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Dynemma life lines is on my project list for this spring. Need to start putting together a list of hardware and @jssailem has been helping me to learn the finer aspects of splicing dyneema.

Jun 17, 2017
Com-Pac Eclipse Pensacola, FL
Thanks for the reply, it's good to know that there is a lot of interest in doing the conversion. Also, I am very familiar with Barnegat Bay, I moved to Pensacola in 2008 from Toms River. Mostly to escape the snow.