Dynaplate, KISS-SSB, Copper?

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
What is your RF grounding composed of? Do you have a Dynaplate installed? KISS-SSB installed? 100 sqft of copper installed? All three? Some of the three?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Feb 17, 2006
Phantom, the 100sqft was more of a tongue-n-cheek kind of thing. I have read what Mr. West has to say on that.

Right now I have nothing but the vertical dipole. But I really want to run an alternate backstay antenna to the top of the mast. I am thinking of using both the KISS-SSB and a connection to either a Dynaplate or thru hull. Which ever one is available.

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
Hey Brian,

On the last boat, I used a copper foil to a thru hull method that Gordon West recommends. It worked well, but you have to keep an eye on it as it can corrode. I then sold the boat and bought a new boat, and I lucked into a KISS. Since there wasn't a close thru hull, I figured I'd give it a try. I have to say, I was impressed. It seems to work slightly better than the foil, and is a snap to install. Well worth the money.

Oct 1, 2008
Catalina C-42 mkII Alameda
Phantom, the 100sqft was more of a tongue-n-cheek kind of thing. I have read what Mr. West has to say on that.

Right now I have nothing but the vertical dipole. But I really want to run an alternate backstay antenna to the top of the mast. I am thinking of using both the KISS-SSB and a connection to either a Dynaplate or thru hull. Which ever one is available.
Not sure if you have a metal toe rail on your Lancer but I have had some success using the metal toe rails as a counterpoise on a friend's Jeanneau 46. I also used the lifelines as a counterpoise on another friend's installation. Both configs seemed to work well.

73 de W7YOT

Feb 17, 2006
Yes, I have a metal toe rail. Just need to bond them all together. I had thought of that method also. The KISS is definitely on my list (Hall and Oats anyone?). But it wouldn't hurt to have either a thru hull or Dynaplate, or both (all three?).

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
Why put another hole through your hull if you don't need it? And I think you will find that the added ground paths won't improve your transmissions any.

Oct 6, 2009
Custom Bluehull Kennesaw, Ga.
Well all that sounds good. I'm running a TarHill II sitting on a pizza pan. Seams to be working good. :dance: