Drivetrain upgrades

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I started this thread back in the fall and finally had my first chance to try out the tranny rebuild and damper plate install. All is good!! The plates were very worn in the tranny and the rebuild kit fit perfectly. The damper plate I used was # 10 1866-061-001 Sachs plate. The original chattered a lot but I could not see anything wrong with it when I pulled it. There is no chatter now with the new one. Luckily I have a mechanic friend that offered to do the work at a reasonable rate and the whole job was under a 'boat buck'. I did not replace the engine mounts but will keep an eye on them. Thanks for all the help early on in this rebuild, it's great sharing info with people that have been through the experience.

Cheers

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I used the Sachs #1866--50-002 as the 1866-061-001 Sachs plate (as I was told by marinedieseldirect.com) the torque rating was too high for our engine thus making it too stiff. The real issue here is the interface between the input spline of the transmission and the collar on the damper plate. Once that interface begins to break down, failure is imminent. It needs to be spot on and should be inspected prior to assembly. The additional stiffness will only aggravate this problem.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
I ordered everything from BPI Inc. Cost and delivery was much better than anywhere else. Below is a post from the past....

Ted, I have the same engine and transmission, and had the same slipping 2 seasons ago. I bought the clutch plate kit and the gasket kit from Basic Power Industries, about $320 US. I have a friend that is an auto mechanic, he rebuilt it and I have had no issues since. The clutch plates were very polished, after only 500 hours on the engine.
Part #s were
ALT316750 - Clutch plate kit for Hurth HBW 5, 50, 100
ALT316801B - Gasket set to Overhaul Hurth HBW 5, 50, 100

Still running as good as new.
Cheers
dj