Drilling hole to run lines through cabintop mounted traveller

Aug 8, 2019
Oday 28 Bristol, RI
Hello,

I've got an '85 O'Day 28. Thinking of running some rigging to the cockpit (mainsheet halyard, reefing lines). Has anyone made holes and run lines through the plastic cabin top mounted traveller? Is it safe?

See attached pic.

I'm talking specifically the white piece that connects/mounts the black traveller to the cabin top. Has anyone run lines through it via drilling hole?

1599615828283.png

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Nope....but let me know what is in there!

I have an O’Day 322 and my lines that run back to the cockpit run inboard of that white support And I have a 4-line rope clutch on each side...is that an option on your 28?

You can sort of see how mine is laid out in this photo...
E996C04A-6AC2-4A46-9122-7EB51CC6A5EB.jpeg

Greg

Aug 8, 2019
Oday 28 Bristol, RI
Unfortunately not, there's about a 2 inch gap between the companionway slider and the traveller.... just enough room for 1 line. Not enough space for my needs :(. Beautiful boat by the way!

Cole07

Sep 23, 2018
Oday Daysailer East Moriches, NY
I'm not familiar with the boat, but I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem as long as you used a grommet of some sort to go on the hole to allow the line to run smoothly. I would assume it is hollow in the center so you would be drilling through two walls of fiber glass and the opening could potentially fill with water so if you do drill, I would recommend drilling as close to the deck as possible to allow any trapped water to drain.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Unfortunately not, there's about a 2 inch gap between the companionway slider and the traveller.... just enough room for 1 line. Not enough space for my needs :(. Beautiful boat by the way!
Thanks...I really like this boat a lot.

The only thing I would worry about is having a place for water to get into the liner or cabin.
That block certainly isn’t solid, so any holes in it would let water in....not sure where it would go.

as @Cole07 said, maybe drilling the holes as close to the deck would let the water out.

Can you see anything from the inside (is there a cover or something in the liner)? Maybe that would give you a better idea of the construction.

Good luck!

Greg

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
How about drill your through holes, then use them to put epoxy into that riser? Maybe even do that from a smaller hole on the top?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You have think "tunnel" rather than "hole". The riser was probably molded into the deck at the factory, with a backing plate for the traveller. That would make it hollow, so you'd want to create a window through that riser, then insert a matching tube, glassed in place to create a water tight tunnel through it. Look around the internet for ideas. Maybe search "halyards run aft" or something even more creative. I have seen many boats with nifty, line management features that are part of the deck molding.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Are the screws for the traveler mounted all the way through the cabin top? See if there is a cover plate inside the cabin hiding the bolt heads/nuts. I'm pretty sure mine is mounted that way. In that case you need to allow for the bolts or screws where you create your "tunnel. Rather than round consider a rectangular tube so you can run more than one line adjacent to each other, a tube puts all the lines on top of each other. Make a rectangular part from glass matt and epoxy on a bench maybe form it over a piece of wood covered in saran wrap or mold release. Then you can make a rectangular hole in the riser with an oscillating tool, slide in the molded piece and epoxy it in place. You may need to reinforce the riser to recover the lost stiffness from the hole you cut. Why not just mount some line control turning blocks on the outboard or inboard side of the riser instead of cutting through it. Will be a lot easier and less impactful on the original design. A double cheek block mounted on the side might work for you. Schaefer 3 Series Cheek Block

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
You could also have a machine shop make a plate with holes for the lines to run through with rounded edges that would mount on the aft side of the riser and extend beyond the left edge of the riser for the lines to pass, this would allow multiple lines to fit through the space off the deck. Minimal impact on the boat.

Aug 8, 2019
Oday 28 Bristol, RI
Unfortunately there's not a ton of space on the outside of the riser (It's still a 28 after all) to mount lines on the deck - as seen in this photo (looking aft, pic is of port riser). The white spots are where the handrail goes, which is currently being revarnished.

jibes138 I'm having a hard time picturing your rec. You're recommending something be mounted to the riser either between it and the companionway hatch or outside it? Where I'd have the lines be run vertically on top of each other?

I feel like I should be worried about putting horizontal stress on the riser then?

Screen Shot 2020-09-10 at 10.00.34 AM.png

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Sorry to veer off a bit, but is that the original stock main sheet track? If so, what is the traveler itself installed there? My set up is the original, totally manual, no lines, and a true PITA. See photo. Would love to use the same track with a better traveler set up like what you have.

Attachments

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Sorry to veer off a bit, but is that the original stock main sheet track? If so, what is the traveler itself installed there? My set up is the original, totally manual, no lines, and a true PITA. See photo. Would love to use the same track with a better traveler set up like what you have.
odayokay, did you never call Garhauer?

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
On a 34/35 this riser is molded into the deck. Drilling a hole through it would be like drilling two holes in the deck. Water would get in the hole, and therefore into the space between the headliner and the deck. If you could epoxy a tube (sleeve) in the riser, you would block access to the traveler track bolts. I would NOT do this on a 34/35.

Aug 8, 2019
Oday 28 Bristol, RI
For clarification, this is a 28. It's not moulded in, it's bolted through and caulked on.

Any hole through would certainly fill up the riser, but the tunnel/tube/sleeve idea should work.

Alternatively I'm sure a riser that's just supports and not a full block exists, which may be an option.

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
Contact Garhauer. They have risers that bolt onto your deck, and will give you plenty of room to run a line through.

Aug 8, 2019
Oday 28 Bristol, RI
Yeah seems like Garhauer sells something like that. Probably going to go with that route given the deck is in good condition underneath the existing risers
Thanks for the discussion everyone!

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Picture in your mind a flat plate with holes drilled through it on the left side with nicely rounded edges for your lines to pass through. Maybe 1/4-3/8 thick stainless plate material. Now drill four holes in it for mounting screws. Now pick up the plate and fasten it to the face of your riser on the forward or aft side of the riser such that the holes for your lines are vertically oriented and extending on the inboard side of the riser just enough for the lines to go through. You could probably get three lines on each side of the boat this way and not be messing up the original equipment except a few screw holes. You could make this on a drill press pretty easily once the plate is cut to size. A Bridgeport style vertical milling machine would be even better.

• Helpful
Oct 10, 2019
Signet 20 0 Ithaca
Whatever you do, by drilling small holes (or cutting a big tunnel hole) you will definitely weaken the support post. Maybe not very much, maybe a bunch, all depends on how much material you remove. May not matter at the end of the day, just be mindful about cutting stuff.