Down turn in the financial markets and FED money at 0%, what will that mean for boat prices.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
i ain't selling any boats, so it's all mute to me :)

nice guns Phil!

i've always been thrilled by battleships.

BB64 is my favorite
I've made financial decisions based on a very conservative approach to having 12+ months of cash for living and maxing retirement accounts for our future. I don't add more stuff without taking these 2 factors into consideration. I have a Hyundai not a BMW, a boat free and clear, a mortgage that doesn't need 2 incomes to cover.

On a side note my Grandfather was a plank owner for BB62 USS New Jersey from construction to the end of the war! He didn't favor BB64 because the New Jersey was suppose to be the ship with signing of the surrender but politics changed it, so he liked to tell me.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
One response that I have not forgotten was "We can't spend money now, we're in a recession!" Wrong answer. If we hunker down and retreat, hoarding our cash we will go into a recession.
During the Great Depression of the 1930s, people were rushing to their banks in droves to get their money out before the banks went under. A very real self-fulfilling prophecy. In the city of Clearwater, where I grew-up, there is a story about Donald Reobling having stopped the run on the city's bank. The story is that he jumped up on a table in the middle of the lobby and announced that he was depositing one million dollars into the bank. The long line of people who were there to withdraw their money changed their plans.
He also took the opportunity to build one of the largest, most expensive homes in the town. He kept a lot of people employed by spending his fortune at a time when most everyone else was hunkering down and hoarding their money.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
This is could be fear mongering IMHO.These people know only at this point the death rate of people with symptoms or who got tested. They do not know the death rate relative to all of the people infected, etc., who were not counted. It’s like saying that if the number people who die from auto collisions is 4%, this equates to a 4% death rate for all drivers on the road.
Right. Now go to that site and scroll down to the table "Confirmed Cases and Deaths by Country, Territory, or Conveyance" and look at the far right column. The important point is will any given country be like China with 56 cases per million population, or like Italy with 679 cases per million population?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
The important point is will any given country be like China with 56 cases per million population, or like Italy with 679 cases per million population?
Some folks have suggested that we don't really know those numbers from China. Could be much higher than that. Talking Italy, that could be a 0.07% infection rate if that's all of the cases, which it would not be. Let's assume it's a tenth. That would mean 6,790 infections, 90% not discovered. At the 4% mortality number, that would mean an expectation of 272 fatalities/1,000,000 citizens. Sixty million x 272/million = 16,320 fatalities nation-wide with those assumptions. Presently, there are about 3,000. So we are left with many fewer infections, or a much lower mortality rate, closer perhaps to less than 1%; say 0.8%.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It would be very useful to know how many people test positive but do not have symptoms. The science of Epidemiology can do just that. They do not have to test everyone. They can sample a section of the population and extrapolate for the entire population. This is done all the time for studying disease distribution in a population. I hope this is being done.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It would be very useful to know how many people test positive but do not have symptoms. The science of Epidemiology can do just that. They do not have to test everyone. They can sample a section of the population and extrapolate for the entire population. This is done all the time for studying disease distribution in a population. I hope this is being done.
It probably is.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Talking Italy, that could be a 0.07% infection rate if that's all of the cases, which it would not be. Let's assume it's a tenth. That would mean 6,790 infections, 90% not discovered. At the 4% mortality number, that would mean an expectation of 272 fatalities/1,000,000 citizens.
But the 4% mortality rate is of detected cases, not of the 10x larger number of undetected cases you’re assuming. So the mortality rate is 4% of the 0.07% of the population, which is 28 per million.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Market talk amused me. After the first market drop of 1500pts.,I went and bought some stocks, all proud of myself. That was about 7500 pts ago. My plan was always to put the folder away for 5 yrs., check it then. My best self isolation starts here, time to peel off the wrapper!

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Market talk amused me. After the first market drop of 1500pts.,I went and bought some stocks, all proud of myself. That was about 7500 pts ago. My plan was always to put the folder away for 5 yrs., check it then. My best self isolation starts here, time to peel off the wrapper!
I feel your pain. As the market dropped I kept rebalancing, shifting money from rising bond funds to dropping stock funds. And then the bond funds started dropping. :what: Anyway, the average bear market drops 30% and we hit that mark yesterday.

What was that song from back in the day, "I've been down so long it looks like up to me?"

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Never invest more than your willing to lose.
Now is the time to look at financial Value. Even the premium stocks are selling at an attractive level. Like the Don in the Second God Father movie. I do not want the whole thing I just want to wet my beak a little.
Enhance the cruising kitty.