Doors on sailboats--Do we need them?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The Pogo line of yachts from Structures feature weighted curtains that roll up. The are held in place with magnets when down. Lighter and simpler than a door.

B2D1CD3A-9520-4217-8FA4-2D8C12127FD0.jpeg

Last edited:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
My C&C 27 has a sliding door to the head. Not a true pocket door as it slides beside the bulkhead and there is a hook and loop at the back of it to keep it open when heeling. It also has detents at the fully open and closed positions. The V berth has a bifold door with the hook on the outer (when folded) side.
My Islander Freeport 36 has well thought out doors that don't block anything when latched open except the head door which blocks the toilet - and chances are you are going to close the door when using it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Certainly weight is a factor having a door on a boat. But I think a limited comparison between Boat and House is misplaced. I suggest a comparison of RV might be more valuable.

Attached is a 30' Airstream Trailer Floor plan. A single door that serves both head privacy and sleeping space.

1576428982812.png

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
pocket doors on some powerboats. but we won't go there, right?!
Since this thread started... I'm looking at the transition between my kitchen and living room at home and thinking "I need a pocket door".

Damn this forum.....:biggrin:

Nov 8, 2010
True pocket doors slide into gap in the wall to disappear when open. This is totally impractical on boats, where walls and bulkhead are only as thick and absolutely necessary. House interior walls always have minimum thickness of 4-6 inches.

BlueJ has ’barn door’ Doors on top and bottom tracks to give the head privacy. Like a true barn door, it slides on the exterior of the bulkhead. I’m assuming this is what everyone here is meaning when they say their boat has ‘pocket’ doors.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Sounds like the best choice.
it works well. The trick is the adjacent wall must be flat and unbroken for an area (width and height) as large as the door. That’s rarely a given on a boat.

8D6995F5-6433-4D5C-989B-7DDC0B72D1A4.jpeg

On the 260 the head spans the hull, giving plenty of room for both doors.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The trick is the adjacent wall must be flat and unbroken for an area (width and height) as large as the door.
... and then you can't use that wall for a bookshelf or such:(

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Doors, sliding, hinged, on a 52' Bristol Channel Cutter designed in 1911(re-done in 2009).

It occurs (to me) that sliding doors are handy lined up on the centerline like these that close in pullman like berth to starboard. Or the hanging locker to starboard. More workable in a seaway.

Looking aft through this passageway. I'm a door person so this turns me on. :)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Regarding another thread on poor boat photos: This EU broker of wooden boats, Sanderman, is a guide to taking great for sale photos of a boat. Plus, our friend Iain McAllister who's done so much research and work on the Alden forum I believe does the research and text work on the descriptions.

Back to doors: This old boat has sliding doors on the pilot berths. (Old school design with sea berths and a forward galley, still good today, apparently as it's sold).

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The door to our v-berth has been up-stairs in my barn since about 15 minutes after the purchase was finalized. We have a curtain we can deploy if we have someone sleeping in but that is pretty rare... Our head door is well designed, and not in the way at all, so we left it installed so we can shower and not get the entire boat wet.

Nov 8, 2010
... and then you can't use that wall for a bookshelf or such:(
you can actually. Like in that picture, the exterior wall has a wide open expanse available. If the item is heavier that requires fasteners attached from the backside, it’s a simple process to remove the door and attach the fasteners and then put the door back. On the inside you can as well, it just can’t be anything heavy. Or anything that would get in the way when you close the door. So things like mirrors and hooks to hang robes or foulies are fine. Probably not a bookshelf! :)

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
We have 4 water tight doors which seal the boat into 3 water tight compartments. That is to slow down the eventual sinking in the event this 40 ton pig takes on water. She’ll still sink, but maybe take a few minutes rather than a few seconds. The doors latch open, or dog down top and bottom when closed. Of course, the hatches and portholes better be battened down too, or the doors won’t matter that much.

Nov 28, 2015
Bavaria Vision 46 Catawba Island, Ohio
Doors on our Bavaria Vision 46 have no issues. Tight, secure but the handles do catch on your belt loops exactly at that height for me also. Wife is door challenged so before going out, I check again because the magnets don't hold past 15-20 degrees of heel.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
So, I finally tried it. I removed the door to the forward cabin and put it in the Vee-berth for now. Recall, it opened inward and blocked access to the stb hanging locker. I also removed the one to the aft head which opened outward, and blocked access to to my nav station when open. I did this the week I was at Hen Rock where I had the veritus attack. So, Admiral was not aboard. Sooo much easier to move/function in those areas now. The next one to come down will be the door to the aft cabin, which opens outward and blocks access to the cookware and spices/condiments cabinet. The doors are SOLID mahogany; very nice—but heavy. I bet over 12# each. I think they’ll be off generally, except when we have overnight guests aboard, which is not often these days.

Last edited: