Does anyone recommend larger than a 100% jib for a Hunter 376.

Mar 26, 2015
Hunter 376 Marina del Rey
Hello and happy December 29th 2019.
I bought my 1997 Hunter 376 5+ years ago. A few mods and forum supported repairs have improved her along the way.
The only performance mod was the addition of a telescoping whisker pole, mast track and car, for sailing downwind. This was a GREAT addition to the boat.
I still only have the jib and wonder if there is value in adding a Genoa for light to medium wind conditions when sailing upwind or reaching?
Roughly 30% of my sailing is single handed. Another 30% is with a marginally knowledgeable crew. Therefore I am going to avoid a spinnaker or any sail that requires skilled crew.
So. Suggestions?
Also, is there logic in installing toe rails or fixed locations for blocks for a larger headsail?
My next question will be about mounting winches on the coaming on the 1997 model.

Many thanks.

Fair winds!

Tim

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Tim,

A very illuminating and interesting discussion on co.com for those of you who might be in the market for a new jib.

Big Jib or Small Jib

Please read all three pages. Enjoy.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
still only have the jib and wonder if there is value in adding a Genoa for light to medium wind conditions when sailing upwind or reaching?
Suggest a 110% jib. That is what I had on my Hunter 386 and now on my Hunter 46. It is very balanced sail plan. If you want additional sail area replace your main with a battened main. If you have a furling main you can install partial vertical battens like I did on my Hunter 386 and plan to do on my Hunter 46.

My next question will be about mounting winches on the coaming on the 1997 model.
A picture of where you would mount the winches would help to address this question.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
I wanted a larger jib on my boat, too. But, Hunters with B&R rigs without backstays aren't designed for it. A larger jib would have to be sheeted outside the outboard shrouds making it even more difficult to point in a boat that already doesn't point well when the wind comes up, even without the wing keel. An extra set of inboard sheets and roller reefing it when you need to go to windward would be a mess. A code 0 or gennaker for reaching would be better, but it's hard to rig when single handing.
My advice, for what it's worth, forget the bigger jib, improve the running rigging and tune the mast. If you have a non furling main, sight up the back of the mast, you should have a little more than 4 or 5" of prebend and use the halyard to check if there's a difference in the distance from port and starboard chain plates to the top of the mast. If there's issues, get the rig tuned by someone that is familiar with B&R and the proper prebend it needs. Getting the main flat will improve beating and reaching as much as a bigger jib. A lot of Hunters came from the dealer with the mast set up wrong by the local rigger. The PO of my boat had them install 4 giant batteries in the aft locker and the mast was set up leaning to one side by a foot and a half to be straight with the list caused by the batteries and no prebend at all.
If your sails are original or shot, get new ones made specifically for this highly engineered rig. The local sailmaker or a guy at the dock may say you can use a 135 or 150% jib, but I wouldn't do it. Like I said, I thought a bigger jib would solve everything, too. Good luck with it.

Jul 6, 2017
Hunter H 41DS Hampton, VA
I have a H36. The B&R rig may not be designed for a large head sail. I really like the fractional jib and large main. But I grew up sailing Hobies, so it make sense to me. The smaller jib is much more manageable single handed. I had a full batten full roach main made (conventional non-furling main). I was on a club boat for a few years and never could get used to the lousy shape and fluttering from the furling main. I asked another H36 owner who has a spinnaker whether or not I should invest in a whisker pole or spinnaker? His response... "the jib is the size of a handkerchief, definitely get the spinnaker".

You will just have to use it when you have the right crew. My jib winches are at the helm. Much better location than the 356. Not sure where they are on your boat.

Jul 6, 2017
I also added a Tides Marine low friction track on the mast to accommodate the higher thrust loads from the full batten main.

Mar 26, 2015
I wanted a larger jib on my boat, too. But, Hunters with B&R rigs without backstays aren't designed for it. A larger jib would have to be sheeted outside the outboard shrouds making it even more difficult to point in a boat that already doesn't point well when the wind comes up, even without the wing keel. An extra set of inboard sheets and roller reefing it when you need to go to windward would be a mess. A code 0 or gennaker for reaching would be better, but it's hard to rig when single handing.
My advice, for what it's worth, forget the bigger jib, improve the running rigging and tune the mast. If you have a non furling main, sight up the back of the mast, you should have a little more than 4 or 5" of prebend and use the halyard to check if there's a difference in the distance from port and starboard chain plates to the top of the mast. If there's issues, get the rig tuned by someone that is familiar with B&R and the proper prebend it needs. Getting the main flat will improve beating and reaching as much as a bigger jib. A lot of Hunters came from the dealer with the mast set up wrong by the local rigger. The PO of my boat had them install 4 giant batteries in the aft locker and the mast was set up leaning to one side by a foot and a half to be straight with the list caused by the batteries and no prebend at all.
If your sails are original or shot, get new ones made specifically for this highly engineered rig. The local sailmaker or a guy at the dock may say you can use a 135 or 150% jib, but I wouldn't do it. Like I said, I thought a bigger jib would solve everything, too. Good luck with it.

Thank you Bill. Lots of good advice here.

Mar 26, 2015
Tim Mills and Bill 19233,
Thank you.
I guess I’ll stick with the stock jib. I’ll take your advice on tuning the B&R (non-furling).
The mast track mounted whisker pole I installed works great for long distance running, but it is a 2 person setup, with the sheet outside of the shrouds and a block just forward of the bimini deck mount and an “in the way” sheet run forward to the cabin top mounted jib sheet winches. . That was the reason for my question about mounting winches on the coaming as is the case with a friend’s H380.
His boat has molded in pads for the winches. Mine does not.
Again, thank you for your insights.

Tim

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
That was the reason for my question about mounting winches on the coaming as is the case with a friend’s H380.
His boat has molded in pads for the winches. Mine does not.
Again, thank you for your insights.
May not help, but here's the link to the thread back when I added winches to the coamings on my 340.
"No Drill" Bowsprit
I would Google images for "Hunter 376", and look through the photos that come up for one with winches on the coaming. And check the 376 photos on this site, too.
Hunter resources, by model

Jul 6, 2017
I would think you could install a large thick aluminum backup plate on the underside.

Dec 14, 2018
Ericson/ Hunter Ericson 29 / Hunter 376 Pensacola, FL
The boat is built with access plates in the ceiling of the aft cabin to access the cockpit winches, this would give the proper location. A test drill spot from underneath would confirm that there are aluminum plates laid up in the deck for the winches if not use a backer plate under the winches.