Does anyone know the total length of sanitation hose required for C30?

May 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Riverside, NJ
Does anyone know the approximate length of sanitation hose required if I wanted to replace it all? I am buying a new head, and would like to replace all the sanitation hoses. Just wondering what the approximate length would be.

I would also like to replace the supply hoses, and increase the diameter of the holding tank vent line, and re-route it to a new bulkhead thru-hull.

Thank you much,

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
You might want to look at this post from the Hunter forum: Sanitation question
TLDR: Measure your particular boat with a sewing tape measure, buy highest quality sanitation hose like Raritan SaniFlex, which will be god-awful expensive so you want an accurate measurement, but add a foot or two to avoid coming up short.

If your vent is through the stanchion, like my Catalina, you may want to replace with a simple mushroom through hull drilled below the rub rail, to improve venting and avoid spiders clogging it up.

May 19, 2016
Parsons,

Funny, I did plan on using a sewing tape to get the exact dimensions. i.e. It's cloth, it bends, it made sense. I was just wondering what the average length and cost would be, I bought the head already, just wondered about additional costs.

I am familiar with many of Peggy's posts, as a result I purchased her book, but I had not read that thread though, so thank you for posting it. It is through Peggy's posting that alerted me to swapping out the vent and yes, running it through a bulkhead thru-hull under the toe rail. I plan on living on this boat for long weekends over the summer and I am trying to address and solve all issues relating to the head.

We will be at a marina and will use their facilities mostly, but the head needs to be functional and odorless!

Thank you,

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I just ordered a 10' length of 1 1/2" Saniflex from Defender. $117.96 with shipping, tax , dealer prep etc.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Also, as I noted previously, don't forget all the "other" lines that run to your waste tank like macerator / sea dump, pump out, etc. that prob use the same hose. @Peggie Hall HeadMistress says you don't have to use sanitation-grade for the vent line.

May 19, 2016
Justin,

Thank you very much for the info, it's greatly appreciated.

Parsons,

I don't think I have a macerator, but I would like to use 1" sanitation hose for the vent. I read that vent lines can develop odors too, and sometimes the holding tank can backup eject their contents out the vent.

Thanks,

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
. @Peggie Hall HeadMistress says you don't have to use sanitation-grade for the vent line.
I don't where you got that idea, 'cuz I'd never say that! What I do say is that it's ok to use the less expensive flex pvc #148 SANITATION hose for the toilet intake line and/or vent line. In fact, it may be the ONLY choice for a "standard" 5/8" vent line, because the premium sanitation hoses are only available in in 1" or 1.5". A #148 vent line will permeate (toilet intake lines do not), but only if waste is allowed to spill out the vent and even then, it takes a while...and fortunately replacing it is inexpensive and is--or should be--a fairly easy job. But if you've upgraded your vent to 1", I'd go with the hose that doesn't permeate.

--Peggie